1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Controversial WH photo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What IS this particular issue?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Controversy" "sparks" "protest."

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

"Some" "concerned."

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fact is, unless it's about battle plans or places with crucial access, the government shouldn't be restricting news organization on what they can and cannot photograph.

These wars are in the public domain. All aspects, unless it's about legitimate national security, should be open to the media. And while I fully sympathize with the families, it's still a news event. The press shouldn't have to ask for permission.

This press battle has been going on since photography was invented. When Lincoln was killed, a photog took a picture of one of the funeral areas where the casket was lying, open. The photo was from a distance away, but you could see Lincoln's face.

Stanton ordered a group of army guys to go to the photog and get all the plates and negatives of the photo and have them destroyed. And the photog, probably in fear of his life because Stanton was a 19th-century Alexander Haig to the extreme, gave most of them up. Yet a few of the plates somehow survived.

If that would have happened today, the photog would have told Stanton to go fuck himself. And rightfully so.

5. vicd

vicd Active Member

"Boy cries wolf! Who will think of the lambs?"

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, I guess all of the criticism during the previous administration was just political then:

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I think the administration would argue that it was national defense. Most of the men killed were SEALs and some/most of them were from the SEAL Team 6 and showing photos of their families could endanger the family members.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then that's how they should explain it, instead of some convoluted "The families didn't want it and we don't know the identities yet!"

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I realize I'm probably a heretic for saying this - but I wish every family was treated with the respect the DoD demands from news orgs wanting to cover returns of soldiers remains.
    Let's be honest - families in war-torn or famine-stricken countries, and even in some cases the US, aren't treated the same way by news orgs as military or law enforcement families. I don't know if it is just that the DoD has a PR operation that understands media needs and wants and shuts them down at the start or that a news org would catch hell for taking an "exploitive" shot of a deceased service member or police officer and win a prize for a shooting victim lying in the street or a child slowly dying of malnutrition.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I see no caskets, or even identifiable family members, in the photo the White House released.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How are you going to get an "exploitive" shot of flag-draped caskets coming off a plane?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When it shows up in the Obama nomination video

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.