1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Controversial WH photo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Under Military code as CINC , The President is entitled to salute.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

If he's commander in chief, he should be in uniform. I understand that's not the way it's ever been done, but.....

Then again, what uniform would he even wear if it was a multi-service event? Damn.

3. vicd

vicd Active Member

Like this one? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You don't want the nasty press taking photos of your loved one's remains, do you?

5. J Staley

J Staley Member

So we're supposed to believe that Obama flouted all these rules from his mighty White House perch in order to get what amounts to a decent photo that probably won't change a single voter's opinion of him?

For a man in a position that harbors so much power to disseminate his message, this seems extremely ineffective.

Aside from the debate about the media's right to cover events, this situation sounds like there's a communication error behind it.

But don't let simple and boring explanation stop your partisan fun.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Right. You one of those who believes everything the military tells you?

How does that work?

Did 19 families come forward asking specifically that they not have media; did 19 families fail to check a box on a form?

Do some public affairs person ask a leading questions so that the families were encouraged to say no media?

If it were open an aboveboard, I don't believe a majority of families would object to the media covering their departed heroes being honored.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

LOL, no.....preferably a dress uniform.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

But...what?

9. Chris17

Chris17 Member

I mean I've read every post on here and.... big deal, not a big deal, it's up to you.

But if this picture actually decides your vote in 2012, you've got some odd priorities. (I apologize if that post was sarcastic...)

10. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

The United States military was intended to be headed by a civilian. It is written in the Constitution. The Commander in Chief most certainly should not be in uniform, per the Constitution.

11. dpfunk78

dpfunk78 Guest

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Yeah, but um Canada or something.

Really, of the slams on Obama, the "not wearing a uniform" might be the most bizarre. Might as well get pissed at him for being both the head of state and government, and having a single term last 4 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.