1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Controversial WH photo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's "just a pine box" until it's your loved one in that pine box.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Think how controversial this would have been if he showed up in a flight suit.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Sounds like the progression from that jackwagon Judge Napolitano on FNC saying Obama made the trip to Dover simply to take the economy off Page 1. Let that roll off your tongue.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If Obama really wanted to make news he should have gone to Dover and announced that he has decided to end the conflict and has instructed the Sec of Defense to bring the troops home as soon as possible.

I am in agreement with those that say that the covert operation to get Bin Laden should have remained covert. There has been way to much cheerleading and back patting.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think families of soliders killed in Iraq believe this in in poorer taste.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why there needs to be a debate about "poorer" taste.

There's a couple of issues here.

1.) Press access. -- I shouldn't have to explain to a board of journalists why this is important. A WH photo is not a good substitute for actual press access. You all know that.

During the last administration, this was a huge deal.

2.) The Appropriateness of the Photo in General -- It was decided that there would be no photos of this event. The press was barred and the photographers who regularly travel with the SecDef and Joints Chief Chairman did not accompany them.

Now, maybe you disagree with this assessment. Maybe you don't see anything inappropriate with it. Fine. But, there should have been one decision. One standard. And, the DoD thought there was.

So, now we do have on image available. And, of course it frames the President beautifully, in silhouette, saluting.

Now, if that's not using a tragedy to do image management, I don't know what is.

It's wrong. All of it is wrong. Just plain wrong.

And, it's ok to say so.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

For Obama it's now all about 2012. He has my vote.

8. vicd

vicd Active Member

A shepherd-boy, who watched a flock of sheep near a village, brought out the villagers three or four times by crying out, "Wolf! Wolf!" and when his neighbors came to help him, laughed at them for their pains.

The Wolf, however, did truly come at last. The Shepherd-boy, now really alarmed, shouted in an agony of terror: "Pray, do come and help me; the Wolf is killing the sheep"; but no one paid any heed to his cries, nor rendered any assistance. The Wolf, having no cause of fear, at his leisure lacerated or destroyed the whole flock.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't believe for a second that a majority of families would object to photographers getting photos of the flag-draped caskets of their loved ones being honored.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Depending on how you frame the question, it could range from majority supporting it to majority strongly against.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

From the story:
    "An official White House photo of a saluting Obama was distributed to news media and published widely. It also was posted on the White House website as the "Photo of the Day." It showed Obama and other officials in silhouette and did not depict caskets."

Did you even read the story, or have someone read it to you?
    And, Ace, 19 of the 30 families said they wanted no media coverage. Also in the story. And the DOD barred the media because of it. But, hey, the Bamster got a cool shot for his "back when I was president" scrapbook. He can put this one next to Air Force One flying low over NYC.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't know as much about the U.S. military's practices as I do of those of Canada and Britain, but in my opinion Obama has no business saluting anyone or anything if he's not wearing a uniform and a headdress. No one should, whether they're the commander in chief or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.