1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Controversial Quote -- In or Out?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bostonbred, Sep 20, 2007.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

“... High doesn’t even have a team,” snorted the disgruntled senior co-captain. “They have one player and that is ... . They played one player. We played 13.”

Covering varsity high school volleyball for a regional section of local newspaper. Sore loser co-captain gave me this quote, which is more interesting than anything else I could use. She gave me permission to use. Risk using it and pissing people off while trying to sass a dull story or go with a traditional covering of the sport?

2. Magnum

Magnum Member

Run it.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

I would.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Use the quote. The player said it. Use it.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

thanks, ill put it in.

6. Magnum

Magnum Member

What's wrong with pissing people off? Anyway, you're not pissing anyone off. You're running with the kid said. And what do you mean, "she gave me permission to use it?" I know she's just a high school kid but that's a slippery slope you're standing on ...

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Board seemed to glitch as I went to post this:

DO NOT USE the words "snorted" or disgruntled." But DO USE the quote.

Then tell your readers how that "one player" beat the shit out of the whiny losing bitch and her team.

8. Magnum

Magnum Member

Good points all.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Gotta use the quote. That's gold, bostonbred. Gold.

But I'm with spnited. Just let the player do the talking. I'm not a fan of deviating so much from "said," especially if the option is snorted. You don't need to explain she was disgruntled. Happy people don't rip opponents like that.

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Run it.

Makes it obvious that she's a sore loser. Maybe she'll learn something.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you use it, ditch the snorted and disgruntled and set it up with the heroics of the one-woman gang that beat them.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

If a player says something and it fits into the mold of your story, use it. As long as it's not libelous you are fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted