1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contributing Writer - Features - Yahoo! Sports (not Rivals)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Yahoo! Sports Rivals High, Dec 14, 2009.

1. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

You're right, 2much: I applied, too.

2. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Have an online portfolio and make sure that the Web address is included in your resume/cover letter.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This ad is written just generally enough to advertise, and yet, just specifically enough in terms of what some particular person might do/already have done, that I wouldn't be surprised if it is in reference to someone specific whom they already have it in mind to hire.

And that person probably won't have to try to catch someone's attention through the online application process.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

DING. Ding. ding.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I've got a feeling they're advertising because they have to under EOE guidelines. I'd be shocked if they hadn't already offered someone. That said, they're probably going through these resumes to add names to the short lists of other future openings.

6. There's your ding ding ding. Five seconds after applying, got an e-mail reminding me to send in my EOE information. I hope this is a serious call for applications, but somehow I keep waiting for the guy from Candid Camera to jump out.

7. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

An ironclad source told me they're just going through the motions. They already know who they're gonna hire.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Don't know if he's the one, but that ad makes the job sound made for David Wharton of the L.A. Times.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Contributing writer = no benefits.

10. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I'll reserve comment until we find out for sure (if we ever do), but thanks for the heads-up.

11. anyone ever get hired for this?

12. webo

webo New Member

At least you received an e-mail acknowledging your application. With many of the jobs I've pursued recently, I have received nothing. And phone calls and e-mails were not returned. Common courtesy is out the window these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted