1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contributing Writer - Features - Yahoo! Sports (not Rivals)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Yahoo! Sports Rivals High, Dec 14, 2009.

1. (To apply, please follow the link at the bottom of this message, we will not be checking this board for messages)

About Yahoo!
    The Internet is a big, busy place, and we at Yahoo! are proud to stand out in the crowd. As the world's number one Internet brand, servicing over a half billion people, we're determined to maintain our commitment to delivering news, entertainment, information and fun ... each and every day.

In order to maintain our position as one of the world's most trafficked Internet destinations, we're always on the lookout for people with big ideas and big talent to help us provide our visitors with the innovative products and services they've come to expect from Yahoo!. We're looking for people like you.

Description:
    Yahoo! Sports is seeking a general assignment writer/reporter to join the web's No. 1 sports site.

This writer would focus on producing features, enterprise stories and game/event coverage across any and all sports for publication on Yahoo! Sports and Yahoo!.com.

Topics range from major events to enterprise packages to features focusing on anything from prominent issues and athletes to a little leaguer with a compelling story.

The writer should have a knack for storytelling, strong news judgment, a beat/feature background and experience writing in multiple sports – including professional sports, college, amateur and international competition. Some stories would be written on tight deadline while others would be developed over multiple days or weeks.

Extensive travel required.

Preferred Qualifications
    5+ years extensive sports writing experience with a major print or web outlet is preferred.

Minimum Qualifications:
    3+ years extensive sports writing experience with a major print or web outlet is required.
    Excellent verbal and written communication skills
    Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
    B.A. required

Yahoo! Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. For more information or to search all of our openings, please visit http://careers.yahoo.com

APPLY HERE: http://careers.yahoo.com/jdescription.php?frm=jsres&oid=26438

2. nmsports

nmsports Member

Anybody have any additional info on this one? Thanks

3. Holy crap, is this real? Is this a hoax post? I can't believe something like this would actually be advertised ...

If so, wonderful.

4. smsu_scribe

smsu_scribe Guest

Sounds like a hell of a job.

5. ringer

ringer Active Member

Looks like there's a caveat: you have to apply online, which means to CV goes into an enormous black hole. That's been my experience with generic online application processes, anyway.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The job description is just vague enough to make me leery.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1133927

8. Prospero

Prospero Member

What's the over-under on number of applications they receive for this? 1,000? 5,000? More?

9. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Y'all are making some very good observations here. Along the lines of what ringer wrote, I recently applied online for a gig that was brought to sportsjournalists.com some time back, to which I offered 30 years of experience in sports journalism, including a mix of writing, editing, design and management, and I haven't heard a thing since the e-mail acknowledging my application was received.

Thirty years in the biz and absolutely qualified for this particular job, and yet not a sniff.

That aside, this sounds like a great opportunity.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I applied anyway.

What's the worst-likely outcome? That they're gonna pass me over? Fuck it. At least I applied.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

What you just said.

12. gottawrite

gottawrite Member

I applied, too, but isn't it sort of silly to post a job for a writer and not set things up so you can see if the people applying can write?

Draft saved Draft deleted