1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contrarian player of the year voting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Dec 18, 2006.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Because in the paleozoic era (before Tiger), there would typically be maybe a handful of two-time winners and about three-dozen one-time winners per year.

The difference wasn't so pronounced.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, winning and consistency are criteria, and in certain years, you might have a number of good candidates. I'm just saying that there was no question this year.

If somebody didn't vote for him because he didn't play enough to win the Vardon, then I think that's wrong. There was clearly no better player in the world this year, period. A vote for anybody else was wrong -- not even a matter for debate.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember the guy who wouldn't vote for Tom Seaver for the Hall, because he said no player deserved to get 100 percent... I think it was a similar deal when one guy voted for Iverson for MVP while the rest went for Shaq...

In my mind, the NFL MVP should be unanimous. Would I be surprised if some voter picked Drew Brees? Not at all...

If Florida upsets Ohio State for the national title, how much do you want to bet that someone votes for Michigan No. 1 if they win the Rose Bowl. It will be absurd, but that never stopped people before...

4. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

If you think that's a near-perfect analogy, then you're a near-perfect moron.

You don't vote for batting champion. There is no correlation to slecting an MVP-type award like the won Tiger did and a title given to somebody purely based on math.

Your analogy blows.

Draft saved Draft deleted