1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contrarian player of the year voting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Dec 18, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

OK, I think this belongs on the journalism topics board, and hope it's left here. And if any golf writers would like to come along and answer what I'm about to ask, I'd be thrilled. This story just moved on the wire:

HOUSTON -- Tiger Woods was voted player of the year for a record eighth time by the Golf Writers Association of America, which selected Lorena Ochoa the best female player.
    Jay Haas was chosen the top senior player. ...

Woods became the first player in history to win multiple majors in consecutive years, capturing the British Open and the PGA Championship among his eight PGA Tour victories. He finished the season with six consecutive PGA Tour victories.

He won 97 percent of the vote on a ballot that included Masters champion Phil Mickelson and U.S. Open champion Geoff Ogilvy.

----

OK, deadly seriously. Tiger Woods won eight times, six times in a row to end the season. He won two majors. He won the money title by a huge margin.

What responsible member of the GWAA voted for anybody but Tiger Woods for player of the year. How could you possibly justify that?

I don't know how big the voting group was, but whoever's in that 3 percent shouldn't be voting. This kind of contrarian crap that had some leaving Babe Ruth off their first Hall of Fame ballot is simply ridiculous. And a responsible voter wouldn't do it.

[/rant]

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Wasn't the 2000 presidential election swung by people who couldn't figure out the ballot?

3. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Jagoffs who want to separate themselves from the common voter by showing they're deep, outside-the-box thinkers.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, see, that's the thinking, I think.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Well, he didn't play enough rounds to qualify for the Vardon Trophy ... maybe a couple of purists think he should play more tournaments.

6. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I agree with SF. For instance, it's in-fucking-sane to consider that not one baseball player in history has been a unanimous Hall of Fame vote. Who in the hell didn't vote for Babe Ruth?!?!? Willie Mays?!?!? Cy freakin' Young?!?!?! My God.

When it comes that time, is someone not going to vote for Michael Jordan?

7. I know this isn't quite the same thing, but how about the clowns who decided to keep Buck O'Neill out of the Hall of Fame last year?

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Abso-fucking-lutely.

If the guy can't qualify for the Vardon, I could easily see a fuck you vote to him.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Doesn't the fact that he won eight tournaments, despite playing in fewer than many competitors make his season more impressive? He won more tournaments than anyone, despite competing in fewer.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Yes.

But he says fuck you to the fans WAY too much.

11. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Way too much for what? It's about picking the best player. There is no possible justification for casting a different vote. He won more than anyone else, it's that simple. If a baseball player sat out 60 games with injury, yet still hit 60 homers with 120 RBI, wouldn't he be a pretty strong player of the year candidate?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not if he DH'd, according to some around here.

Draft saved Draft deleted