1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Continued Kennedy Coverage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Aug 27, 2009.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

And, truthfully, that is not saying very much.

2. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bay of Pigs, moon landing, civil rights, title IX, American with Disabilities Act, health care for kids, head start - yeah, these Kennedys were way overrated compared to......?
    Ted WAS overshadowed by his brothers, imagine losing four siblings before you hit 40 - going from the third wheel in the family to becoming its patriarch in a matter of less than 10 years. His dad died 40 years ago this fall.
    Throw in having to deal with a messy family situation and discovering the press wasn't covering for you like they did your brothers, being the last Kennedy alive for Nixon to target - Ted grew old, got big - something that his brothers never had to deal with - and he still managed to leave a mark that I don't know if a President has come close to in my lifetime.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jeez Dan. No one said the other Kennedy brothers were "overrated". The question was simple ... who did more for their country in the long run, RFK or Teddy?

I'll be honest. Beloved though he is, RFK is beloved more for the potential of what he could have done, not what he actually did.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yes, he sure left a huge mark on the Kopechne family.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Should be an interesting read. Looks like he really opened up.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

All of the speculation I heard was that he wouldn't address this incident in detail. That doesn't really say how much detail there was, but my feeling was that a man facing imminent death wouldn't really hold back in his memoirs. Either way, it doesn't change how I think of him. He did a bad thing, no doubt. There isn't enough atonement in the world to bring back Mary Jo. But he did a lot of good as well, and he is rightly recognized for it.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Joe Kennedy not running:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/09/07/us/AP-US-Kennedy-Successor.html?hp

9. swenk

swenk Member

Here's how you keep a book in the news:

After the NYT leaked the contents of the Kennedy book, everyone went scrambling for a copy. Unfortunately, the leak came 11 days before the book was actually available, a nightmare fiasco for publishers (11 days being a tragic lifetime in a news cycle).

Now comes word that the book's publisher has hired a private detective to trace the source of the leak. Of course, an early peek at an embargoed book is not a rare or stunning event, nor is a publisher's dramatic indignation at free publicity a few days early--happens all the time--but the private detective drama will surely create a snappy little news story until the book is actually released on Sept. 14.

http://www.observer.com/2009/media/after-times-kennedy-leak-hachette-hires-private-dick

Draft saved Draft deleted