1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Continental Flight 3407 crash outside Buffalo (NTSB hearings on Page 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pseudo, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Re: BREAKING: Plane crash just outside Buffalo

HP, think of the equipment and the retrofitting it would take to accomplish such a thing. The only thing besides radios that transmits from the aircraft is a transponder, which displays basic flight info on the radar screen of the air traffic controllers. So then you'd have to develop onboard equipment to transmit all of the info you'd get from the black box AND you'd have to develop ground-based equipment to record and store all of this info. Would that even be possible for a place like NYC, for all that info for all those planes? I don't know.

The black boxes work fine and are all but indestructible.

They're playing the ATC communications on one of the Buffalo TV stations; no indication of problems. Pilot was in contact with Buffalo tower and said he was on approach. Then there was nothing. Buffalo tower asked an approaching Delta flight if he saw anything, but the Delta pilot did not.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This is really tough to watch. I've never flown, it's things like this that makes me never want to ever. :(

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I just woke up from a nap to see this.. Holy shit

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They were just replaying the interview with the brother of one of the passengers, and I was fine until someone asked how his parents were taking the news (Jesus, people) and he said "To be honest, I heard my mother make a noise on the phone I've never heard."

And then I lost it.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I've put in many miles on Dash-8s.

Wishing peace for the friends and families of those lost.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

As I alluded to previously, how can anyone hold it together on national TV while being interviewed about the tragic death of a loved one?

7. imjustagirl

Shock is a powerful thing.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Yes, but wouldn't most people be so shocked they couldn't give an interview?

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

The weather had been incredibly shitty today according to my folks and friends. Two ski resorts shut down, over a foot of snow melted from last night to today and there's 18,000 or so people without power.
    My god, that interview was hard to watch.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

CNN has Anderson Cooper on
    MSNBC has on an anchor way ou of his element
    Fox finally bothered to cover it but I think one of the newsroom night cleaning crew is in the anchor chair.

11. imjustagirl

No. Shock in something like that just dulls the pain where you keep going as things are. Like when you're in an accident and you walk around fine but a couple hours later you ache like a mother.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What IJAG said.

A lot of people can be incredibly -- almost disturbingly -- calm in times of crisis. It can take a while for something like this to sink in.

Draft saved Draft deleted