1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Continental Flight 3407 crash outside Buffalo (NTSB hearings on Page 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pseudo, Feb 13, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I guess flying is supposed to be a "calling", like journalism, where you're supposed to suck it up forever out of love for the profession and hope you get lucky enough to someday feed a family (major metro beat or columnist gig; overseas major carrier routes).

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I've got no problem with paying dues, working your way up, whatever. But I'd like the guy (or girl) flying my fucking plane to be making enough money to be able to afford a decent apartment, a comfortable bed, decent meals, etc. I don't want him living in a one-bedroom apartment above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley and eating ramen twice a day.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

No, I'm not kidding. Let's just say I have intimate knowledge of a single major airline that had 9,000 pilots in the six figure plus range a couple years ago. That number is down to probably 6,000 or 7,000 today factoring in furloughs and wage reductions.

Multiple that by the number of majors and you're looking at 30,000 minimum.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

A within-thread d_b

awesome

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I hope I never have to fly through icing.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I hope I never have to fly through icing with a pilot who is paid less than a busboy at the Red Lobster.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think this episode is definitely going to change my habits with respect to subcontracted regional flights. I'm going to avoid them as much as humanly possible.

Another thought here is that Continental, which I fly more than any other airline, shouldn't escape blame on this, either. It contracts with Colgan Air because it supplies cost efficiencies. This is the result of a squeeze that starts at the top and works its way to the bottom.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I offer you 16,000 apologies.

Draft saved Draft deleted