1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Context and sports commentary

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Mar 23, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I guess my only question in all this is, are any of the reasons offered up for being a "good rip-job artist" or a "print bully" enough to excuse a lack of civility or compassion?

Does being a journalist mean, in some cases, becoming an on-the-job prick? Does it have to, or do some journalists enjoy the fact that they can hide behind their job or their aura to become snipers?

Because I'm looking at this column -- and forget it's Simers, it's a more general issue than just him -- and I picture the nasty fourth-grader shooting spitballs at the heads of his classmates.

Of course, I don't know all these writers in real life, so aren't I doing the same thing that Simers did to Thames? ;)

2. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

So it's OK for sports writers to write about someone else's writing when, in theory, mostly sports writers are reading it? But when the audience is wider, it crosses a line? What's the huge difference?

And, as far as your point about it being a mistake to write about someone else's writing, does it matter whether the column was written for a Detroit paper? If it had been written in L.A., would that make any difference to you?

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

With very few exceptions, the only people interested in journalist-on-journalist violence, are other journalists.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Exactly. If your column involves taking an excerpt from another writer's column and screaming about why they're right or wrong, you're a hack.

Simers is no hack.

5. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

But it was OK when Joe Pos did it because it's a blog? I'd be pretty shocked if his audience isn't much wider than journalists.

Draft saved Draft deleted