1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contests

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by runningman, Jan 9, 2007.

1. runningman

runningman New Member

As a new sports editor (at a small weekly paper), I recently realized our paper has likely never been submitted for section or story contests. I would like to change that; if the paper doesn't win anything, then at least I'll know our writers have had a chance.

Can anyone provide some information on different contests, web sites for more information, etc.?

Thanks for the help.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, the place to start would be with your state's press association, which surely has an annual contest.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm out! I'm out of the contest!

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

See if your newspaper group has an in-house contest.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

http://apse.dallasnews.com/

6. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

There are also other ways to get constructive criticism to make your section better, which I assume is your goal. 1-on-1 critiques are an excellent method of receiving feedback in a supportive way.

PM me if you want to take this any further.

7. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I would ask Smallpotatoes for his advice on this one, runningman. Send him a PM in case he doesn't catch this thread.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Sometimes I see designers comparing pages on deadline. Meanwhile, several stories in need of editing and headlines rest in the queue.

Those people seem to take those contests seriously. You may want to ask them for advice.

Taking it, on the other hand ...

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't think weeklies are eligible, Shotty, unless they happen to be an AP member, which is rare.

10. Taylee

Taylee Member

A good national contest that most weekly newspapers enter is one by Suburban Newspapers of America.

http://www.suburban-news.org/

Draft saved Draft deleted