1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Content Coach/Sports Engagement Editor, The Springfield (Mo.) News-Leader

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Sep 14, 2016.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Springfield News-Leader is seeking a Content Coach/Sports Engagement Editor to join our newsroom.

Coaches, supervises and directs the work of reporters, encouraging independent planning and self-direction. Guides reporters and photographers by applying specific expertise to ensure that they create high quality content that fulfills the newsroom’s strategy across all platforms. Focus areas include, but are not limited to: investigative reporting, narrative writing, photography and videography, beat development and digital content. Sometimes take a hands-on approach to accelerate a story’s path to publication. Guides journalists by consultation and coaching before, during and after the creation of content. Focuses on the most important, sensitive and complex stories.

In this role, you will:
    Supervises the work of reporters and photographers, with an emphasis on independent idea and content generation. Works individually with content creator by identifying areas for improvement and coaching them on how to elevate their work. Will guide our sports department to excellent coverage, showing a clear difference between the News-Leader and other media outlets.
    Develops the Springfield News-Leader’s brand reputation as the premier sources for sports news and entertainment in the Ozarks. Works with the content strategist and audience analyst to apply research in creating high quality content and marketing initiatives that best serves key audience needs.
    Will become the definitive voice of sports opinion in Springfield through columns, social media and other opportunities.
    Edits the top fraction of enterprise, watchdog or investigative content that needs a high-level line editing touch and sometimes taking a hands-on approach to accelerate the path to publication.
    Will leverage new and emerging technologies to cover Ozarks sports and connect with Ozarks sports fans.
    Will cultivate community voices for sports opinion content, including social media communities, digital presentations and print publication. Participates in community-connection discussions to advocate for audiences.
    Monitors real-time data to direct changes tied to the data.
    Identifies and address training needs of individuals and groups.
    Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.

Here’s what you need:
    Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education
    Five years’ experience media management experience.
    Proficiency at using metrics and other tools to understand, respond to and grow audience.
    Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
    Experience editing and shaping watchdog and investigative journalism.
    Ability to edit and lead top-notch watchdog journalism.
    Ability to build coalitions around evolving needs.
    Exceptional coaching skills.
    Effective communications skills with diverse personalities.
    Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money
    Self-motivated and self-directed.
    Industry knowledge.
    Ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
    Proven track record of effective time management in a 24-hour news environment.
    Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
    Embraces peer-to-peer training, as a teacher and as a student.
    Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals
    Mastery of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style
    Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct
    News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
    Candidates must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record, proof of insurance and their own transportation.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Engagement Editor

2. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I refuse to call any superior a "coach". Boss, supervisor, editor, manager, etc., sure. But "coach" is just insulting.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

"Sports Engagement Editor" sounds like a position at a backwoods weekly where one has to write up football games and wedding announcements.

Skeptical, I Should Coco and HanSenSE like this.
  4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I'm sure some consultant was paid a lot of money to come up with "Sports Engagement Editor."

5. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

I'd apply but I don't have any of those old polyester coaching shorts and a whistle, so I'm out.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

If you have any questions about this job, feel free to DM me. I know the executive editor well and he said he modeled it after my job. (However, from what I've talked to him about it, I don't know how much like mine it will actually be. Very different market needs.)

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Your job at a different paper in a different market in a different state is probably very different.

Skeptical and TexasVet like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted