1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

content and copyright

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by King_Cecil, Jan 18, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Making single copies of newspaper articles for personal use is NOT copyright infringement.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

hey, conveniently, i'm in my last semester of law school and guess what class i just started taking last week: copyright!

yeah, so i've only had one day of class and only read about 50 pages of the casebook, but kinko's is correct in that it's a copyright violation.

obviously no one is going to stop you from making the copies yourself, although theoretically the copyright owner could file an infringement lawsuit. (copyright is governed by title 17 of the US Code if you want to look it up. you can google it.)

and sorry JR, here in this country there is no statutory exception for personal use. at least not that i've come across yet. the statutory exceptions are for things like use in libraries, "interpreting" for the blind, etc.

but again, this is where we see the disconnect between reality and the real world. no one would ever institute an infringement action if you made a copy of an article. the costs would far outweigh any potential benefits.

so basically kinko's is just covering its ass. damn lawyers...

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

This should have been a Seinfeld episode.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

OR Curb Your Enthusiasm

5. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

There are, however, statutory exceptions in copyright laws for fair use, which is open to several definitions, but, if you are only copying a small portion of the paper's content and do not plan on using it for financial gain or are not causing any harm to the copyright owners' ability to make profit from the material, then you could have a legitimate claim for fair use. Not that I think it would come into play very often at Kinko's. How can you get through college without making copies of published material at Kinko's?

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I highly encourage this practice. It's not stealing or misappropriation if you don't give a fuck.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't think Kinko's is saying you can't do it...they're saying they won't.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Fixed.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep. That's what they're doing.

Still annoying as fuck, though.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's why some freelancers won't sign the paper's standard work-for-hire agreement, replacing it with one in which the paper only gets first-use rights, after which possession reverts to the photographer. More power to 'em.

11. King_Cecil

King_Cecil Member

another thing to note is that my a few of my clips are bigger than 8.5x11 so I asked the customer service woman (this question is what prompted the whole thing anyway) if there was a way I could preview the copy to see if I had resized it correctly and she said "no". Seriously, in this world of technology where phones play mp3s and have MS Office, there's no way to see a preview of a copy? I hate Kinkos.

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

bizarre. this is twilight zone stuff. amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted