1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conte comes across

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

as a significantly smug asshat. (see nightline)

cat rubbed cream he bought for a dollar all over bonds' balls and now he's an expert in everything baseball.

hopefully he'll get more time behind bars.

Edit: no nightline up on youtube, yet, but this is fairly funny

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I swear I thought you were going to say "... as an American hero."
  3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm thirsty.
  4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

May I get you some gratefruit Crystal Light?
  5. PhantomPunch

PhantomPunch Guest

Well, of course he would now...........What else would you expect?
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I actually enjoyed that clip. Maybe Conte didn't go down that "slippery slope" until 1999. Or maybe he is full of shit and 1999 is the earliest evidence they have that he was in the steroid business, so it is all he will fess up to. The guy spent years hanging around body builders doing SOMETHING, and nobody in their right mind thinks he was making his living with a supplement company that sells overpriced zinc pills that have virtually no benefit according to actual scientists, not salesmen/faux scientists pumping out bullshit to people who will buy supplements based on hype.

When evaluating Conte, I always come back to one of the big SF Chronicle pieces in which they laid everything out. This passage still cracks me up:

"In e-mails to The Chronicle, Conte denied being the source of THG, questioned whether it was really a banned substance and said he was the victim of jealous and hypocritical track and field coaches."

Just remember the character of this guy when he parades himself around now looking for another 15 minutes of fame so he can sell some sort of snake oil. As BALCO unfolded, he only ever admitted to anything when he was dead to rights and he has continued to throw people under the bus when they are just as nailed as he was, while protecting others who he doesn't have to give up. One should question why... He was dealing with some VERY rich people. Marion Jones, for example, was busted broke. Barry Bonds is not. He gave one up, hasn't given up the other (and the cases the Feds had/have against them are VERY similar). It could be innocent or it could be sinister. It's definitely worth keeping in the back of your head when evaluating the guy's credibility, particularly in light of the lies and bullshit, and his transparent love of money (the stories after he started up SNAC again after prison, with photos of him posing by the ostentatious $200,000 Bentley) he has been caught up in, in his past.
  7. I feel redeemed as a society.
  8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

9. Why is everybody posting at me in CAPS these days?
  10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

12. I'm gonna regret that post, aren't I?
Draft saved Draft deleted