1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contacts gone...ugh

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Aug 31, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Made a laptop switch over the summer and now that I'm getting into season previews and such, I'm consulting my Coaches List that I had on file with phone #s for the 10 schools we cover...somehow in the switchover, I ended up with an old copy of this file, so I've lost more than half my coaches #s...ughh!!!

2. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

E-mail every important document to yourself using a Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail service. Works for equipment switches, breakdowns and layoffs.

3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Even better: Dropbox. Automatically syncs documents in the Dropbox folder on your computer to the cloud.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

It doesn't help flex at this point, but this is exactly what I do.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I find many coaches respond a lot faster to emails than phone calls.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

yes, my list had emails and phone #s...now I'm seeing coaches from 5 years ago on this list I have :)

I think I had two files of similar name and a mistakenly emailed myself the old list. Stupid me.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do the school websites at least have a list of staff emails?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Think of it as an opportunity - sure it is a hassle - especially when time is short, but it also might give you a chance to reacquaint yourself with some people you haven't touched base with recently.
    Hell you go through any contact list at a newspaper and it's like the scene from Major League - "This guy here is DEAD!"

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Better yet, create a Google Docs spreadsheet that you can continually update.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Even better, save the info - numbers, emails - on your iPhone.
    If you don't have one, go get one.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Is throwing all the info onto a flash drive an option?

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I clicked on this thread thinking you were going to complain that you couldn't see.

Draft saved Draft deleted