1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contacting athletes through MySpace

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CradleRobber, Sep 6, 2006.

1. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I wasn't informed I needed to write this until a few days ago. It's for one of six papers I string for, not the one at which I'm actually employed part-time. Tuesday, I had to leave for work at the part-time paper 60 miles away in traffic at 2:30 p.m. to cover college soccer, so I couldn't be at the football team's 4 p.m. practice. Yesterday, I has class from 7:30 a.m. to 8:45, 9 to 10:15, 2 to 3:15 and 5 to 6:15. The football practice is a 45 minute drive from my school. There was no way I was making it out there.

So how the hell could I "get out there and contact these athletes!"? I tried the only method I could have, given the situation.

2. Stupid

Stupid Member

I would say no because it would necessitate a visit to myspace which seems to be a carnival of idiocy, at best.

3. Giggity

Giggity Member

Contact them on myspace and be thankful everybody else on your beat is either scared to do so, or doesn't know what the fuck myspace is. That's what we call an edge, dude. In two years, the 56-year-old guy with the bad mustache on your desk is going to be using myspace. But right now isn't two years from now, so exploit that shit.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Doesn't anyone know how to wear a damn hat anymore?

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/31591/

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I don't see the issue -- it's just another way to reach an interview subject.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I think it's really creepy. Maybe if they had a team website, but not an individual player.

8. Norman Stansfield

Creepy how? I don't get it.

These kids are willingly putting this information and their email addresses on the net, for everyone -- including reporters -- to see. They're advertising themselves in a way.

They shouldn't be shocked if they're contacted by media types, especially if they're at a high-profile school or playing a high-profile sport. And reporters doing the contacting are doing nothing wrong.

Note: I am speaking of college-aged athletes here; anyone younger than that I agree that it could be considered creepy.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Any 56-year-old guy with a bad mustache is trolling myspace looking for high school girls.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

We're adults searching for kids on a teenage site. Shudder.

11. Norman Stansfield

We're adults searching for athletes 18 years of age or older on one of the world's most well-known websites for non-nefarious reasons.

Shudder. [/sarcasm off]

12. rgd

rgd Guest

I side with Norman here. Nothing wrong with it. It's a pretty good idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted