1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conspiracy Theorists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jan 15, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Where's the fun in that?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, we do have one major multinational media company which CONSTANTLY, in pretty much everything it produces, in "entertainment" and especially "news," pushes the paranoid-lunatic meme, "THE GOVERNMENT IS ALWAYS LYING TO YOU." (Check out just about every single one of their 'action movies' and teevee shows, not to mention their propaganda foghorn 'news' channel.)

How's that for a conspiracy?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I miss Mr. Conspiracy on Letterman's version of Late Night

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

NBC?
    Oh, wait. That was in 2007. They're totally on the up-and-up for at least another four years.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Could have just called this thread "Starman and people similar to him."

6. We are really going down the rabbit hole this week.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I blame part of the rise in conspiracy theories on Hollywood.
    How many movies and TV shows have we seen where the hero is unwittingly drawn into some bizarre governmental plot involving an obscure agency abusing its power?
    I think it's one of those things that people see time and time again -- sometimes in movies that are "based on actual events," even if the actual events are two DMV workers conspiring to screw some poor schlub out of his lunch break by dragging their feet -- and start to believe has a kernel of truth. It's silly, of course. It's more the product of lazy creative types trying to cash in than shadowy film producers trying to impose their agenda on an unwitting populace. It does seep into the cultural consciousness, though.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Red pill or blue pill?
    What if all of these conspiracy theories are just machinations of an evil computer program, designed to keep us from seeing the real conspiracy theories? And that computer program is, in turn, controlled by someone else trying to make the computer think it's in charge?
    Is your mind blown yet?

9. One of our sportswriters is a member of the Tinfoil Hat Brigade.
    Thinks the Holocaust was greatly exaggerated.
    Vaccines are a government conspiracy.
    Sandy Hook and Aurora were Black Ops government operations
    911 was staged.

Yeah.. he posts this shit on FB. How he still has a job at the paper? No Clue.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There's probably some conspiracy behind that.

11. Now you just blew my mind.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Conspiracies are like accusations; very easy to make; that much harder to prove. So like I tell my clients, don't worry about what someone says, its free and easy to say things. Just force them to come up with proof. before even engaging

You think the Holocaust was a ruse? Fine; now go tell the relatives of the 14 Million lost why (oh can't?)

Draft saved Draft deleted