1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conspiracy Theorists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Walt_Disney

Walt_Disney Guest

There are college professors (not the conspiracy studies ones) who believe 9/11 was staged. If people really want to believe, evidence doesn't matter.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

There you go. You've hit on several things there, not the least of which is that the Internet is making us fucking lazy.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No, the Aurora conspirists ARE that nutty

http://www.naturalnews.com/036536_James_Holmes_shooting_false_flag.html

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Also, there are certainly organizations that benefit by, well, not exactly tamping down conspiracy theories. I'll pick on the NRA just because this article lays out exactly how the organization benefits by stoking fears that They're Coming For Your Guns.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/achenblog/wp/2013/01/13/nra-history-the-making-of-the-gun-lobby/

On the opposite side, I believe ACLU membership also tends to go up during Republican administrations.

Plenty of organizations (and politicians) have realized telling their constituents they are constantly some unseen, or unknowable, and definitely unlikely threat is good for business.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's one thing to say the available evidence leaves some questions in an existing narrative. An obvious example is the Kennedy assassination. But it's another to take those holes in the story and blow them up into What THEY Don't Want You To Know with no evidence to support it.

In some ways, you think of conspiracy theorists as nutballs wearing tinfoil hats in their mothers' basements, but there are plenty of theories that grab a hold of people you think of as normally intelligent and productive. The vaccine conspiracy theories, for example.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm still wondering where 12 million people disappeared to in Germany in the 1940s.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it is the Internet making us lazy. It's how information technology has made people aware of things they otherwise wouldn't have been aware of that quickly, and can create enough sensationalism to keep it in the "news" for days or weeks or longer.

What I realized with the 9/11 stuff is that for most people it wasn't quite as real as it was for people who lived through it. It was something abstract -- that they watched on TV. Too many people think of it pretty much the way they think of CGI effects movies they have seen, instead of the real buildings that came down and killed real people.

I posted about this at the time. I realized this when we were walking past a storefront a few years ago that was a temporary 9/11 museum, and it was filled with tourists buying trinket souvenirs.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

David Stern gave Pat Ewing to The Knicks

9. The Big Ragu

Was he trying to help them or hurt them?

10. Walt_Disney

Walt_Disney Guest

"Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time" by Michael Shermer.

http://www.amazon.com/People-Believe-Weird-Things-Pseudoscience/dp/0805070893/

11. The Big Ragu

Yup. It's the paradox of information technology. It has put a ton of shit at our fingertips. It also makes it so you have to be way more discerning about what you are reading. Google is not the paper version of Encyclopedia Britanica we used to consult for our third grade book reports.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, I don't think he was questioning whether the plane you saw hit the tower really hit the tower.

It was more along the lines of the towers' collapse and the timing of it and the temperature of jet fuel and the melting point of steel and all that other junk.

Draft saved Draft deleted