1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conspiracy theorist in me suspects Bush, GOP...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Gee, you have to love the "conservatives" who still treat the Schiavo case as though it were a shining moment for them, morally and politically, that they can use to snark it up, rather than the ethical and practical disaster that it was. Nice.
    His Holiness is correct; I think the usual deal is to appoint the spouse of the legislator in question. But it sounds like Johnson's on the way back and, anyway, any GOP pol with plans for the future can spit in Fredo's 31-percent-approved eye with impunity by now.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, but the pandering Sons of Santorum (Exhibit A: Brownshirt) will keep on tapdancing for the yahoos.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Pope --

Rounds will have a very interesting decision to make for the 08 elections.

If he challenges Herseth, that's a major political battle, as they are both extremely popular.

If he doesn't, he's term-limited and faces going up agains Thune in the primary in 2010. Which I would love to see, because I can't stand Thune, but it's also a tougher battle, if only against a sacrificial Democrat in the general. Or he could now hope that Johnson retires at the end of his term and try for that seat.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Update:

http://www.tdn.com/articles/2006/12/15/ap/headlines/d8m1emgo0.txt

Recovery on the way.

PSYCH!

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Please do not presume that Senator Johnson is out of the woods, just because he can open his eyes. The road to recovery is still long and filled with myriad complications. As well, I am uncertain if he will require further surgery. AVM bleeds often require a two step approach. First to drain the blood that is pressing on the brain and second to fix the AVM.

I am not smart enough to guess about what is going on, but I do know that often there is significant rehab required. That said, there is no need to replace him in the Senate. He can stay on the injured unable to perform list for a long time and that will still give the Demsa 50-49 lead

6. If Johnson played for the Patriots, he would be described as "Head -- Probable."

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The people of South Dakota also decided that from Jan. 2003 to Jan. 2009, they wanted a Democrat representing them in the U.S. Senate. Why should Rounds go against the wishes of the people?

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say SD wanted a Democrat, so much as they wanted the best candidate. It just so happens Johnson was better than the Republican that ran in 2002. That said, Johnson is well liked on both sides of the Senate floor.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, so well-liked that when Thune ran against him, national Republicans paid for and ran an ad against him putting Osama bin Laden on the screen with him and acusing him of not supporting the troops.

Wait for it...

While his son served in Afghanistan.

10. The party of values strikes again.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Because he can.

12. If he does, he might as well appoint himself because he's dead in office as agovernor.

Draft saved Draft deleted