1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conspiracy theorist in me suspects Bush, GOP...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Dec 13, 2006.

1. As long as he is still alive--with a pulse--he cannot be removed. He can choose to step down but he cannot be removed.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

My guess is that Johnson will serve out the remaining two years of his term and then retire. Herseth is a shoo-in for the Dem nomination and Rounds is the only GOP pol who can beat her. So Rounds will have to make the decision if he wants to run.

If, God forbid, Johnson died and I were Rounds, I would probably appoint a Democrat to the seat. It is the right thing to do morally and politically. I would choose someone who had no intention of running for the seat in 2008, leaving the field wide open on both sides.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Reasonable, prudent and proper... ergo His Holiness' scenario has no shot.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

President Bush et. al. would ensure that not a dime went to South Dakota in any type of spending if that happened.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One small problem with that: It's Congress that pays the bills.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Is that what killed Ironhead?

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

First off, I wish Mr. Johnson a full and speedy recovery.

With that out of the way, I have one comment and one question.

Comment: Pope, South Dakotans elected Rounds governor. One of the duties of governor is to appoint a senator should one of the state's two senators die in office or resign. Just because Johnson is a democratic does not put Rounds under any obligation to appoint another democratic. He's supposed to appoint a person he feels is most qualified. As he's a Republican, I would think/hope he'd feel another Republican fits that bill.

Question: If Johnson turned out to have severe brain damage and was in a persistent vegetative state, would Dems remain consistent and cheer for him to be starved to death like Terri Schiavo or would they fight to the death to keep him tube-fed and on a respirator? I'm betting the latter.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Is that you, Yawn?

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No, but your response was so predictable that it did inspire a yawn.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

I know it's late, but geez, where's the "We have a president in a persistent vegetative state" post?

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It's in a persistent vegetative state

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Karl Mundt was dead weight for the final four years of his SD senatorial career, decades back.
    He didn't quit, and he wasn't pushed.

Draft saved Draft deleted