1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conspiracy theories you believe in?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Heterogeneous?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Forget it, he's rolling.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

ACORN didn't make the list?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As you said, that was more than just a theory. That was a genuine conspiracy that had one other attempted assassination attached to it. Probably why it doesn't get more pub.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Someone should tell them Pearl Harbor happened in 1941.

6. I love this stuff, but some of those -- the plastic coffins, "contrails" - I'd never heard of. And it's hard to believe that the 9/11 stuff has surpassed the JFK stuff for the top spot.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I can believe bits and pieces of some conspiracy theories, but there's always a couple of things that keep from going all in with them:
    1) The vast conspiracies, like 9/11, would have required so many people to be in on it that someone, somewhere, would have talked. And in the specific case of 9/11, how many folks would have loved to have nailed Bush or someone in his administration for something of that magnitude given how unpopular he is?

2) The more historical conspiracies, like JFK or Roswell, get more debunked with time. In 45 years, no one has been able to definitively prove that anyone other than Oswald shot JFK. Again, there are bits and pieces of evidence that sound plausible, but nothing you can point to beyond a shadow of a doubt. There are people who make their living researching and trying to debunk this stuff, yet there are just as many pieces of evidence to support the standard line of a lone gunman as there are a conspiracy.

3) The people who support conspiracy theories, in general, will mold their story to fit their theories.
    There's no concrete evidence of a second gunman on the grassy knoll? Must have been a CIA assassin who got away. There's no CIA or government records to suggest they were involved, nor anyone who has stepped forward in 4 1/2 decades? Well, it was the mob. No one within the mob, notorious for selling each other out, has ever said a peep about it? Must have been the CIA. They destroyed the records.
    It just goes on and on like that.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I largely blame the lingering of the JFK stuff on the ineptitude of the Warren Commission.

There is no such excuse for the 9/11 Truthers. They're just crazy.

9. The contrails thing is big. Beck even had a song about it on his most recent album.

And you can find the coffins thing all over the place online, along with photos.

10. I'm on it.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well, if a lone congressman from Texas, one who no one had ever heard of, can engineer the takedown of the Russian army in Afghanistan in the early 80s, then I can believe that anything can happen.

12. Well, there also were a few bazillion dollars involved, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.