1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conservatives hampering global warming prevention? Not so fast.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Uh, no it doesn't. They're two separate questions.

At any rate - wouldn't a Christian be wise to side on the possibility of global warming, so as to be a better steward of the gifts God has given him or her? How is good stewardship possibility enhanced by rejecting the idea that man is hurting the creation?

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well, the only universally applicable answer to "what is the will of God" is that all of humanity is saved. Oh, and you're right, "Blessed are the persecuted" and "Blessed are those who are insulted in my name."

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

A lawyer - an intelligent man, which you'd be quick to identify with - asked Christ of all the laws, which are the most important. Actually, Alma left off love God with all one's heart, mind, strength...but for obvious reasons - those that don't believe can at least identify with the second commandment he spoke of, equating it to the former: Love thy neighbor as thyself.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This thread is a train wreck, but an incongruently hilarious one.

Observing Alma argue the Christian ramifications of global warming with Wile E. Coyote and the Incredible Hulk is akin to training a squirrel how to use a condom.

An honorable, if 100 percent futile, gesture.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Neither have answered the question, either.

IMO, a Christian would do better to embrace the possibility of global warming than to reject the possibility of it.

The one argument provided - wuh, what about Christianity? - was a naked attempt to change the subject, thwarted by the fact that it actually supports my position.

Now we're arguing verses.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

There's a chasm between the politically-motivated approach and being good stewards of the earth.

But if we get too biblical, Bubbler will really get confused, which is his primary irritation with this turn of the thread.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Another non-answer.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm in total agreement. I've never understood anyone who didn't buy into the fact that God created everything around you, and because of that, you should treat the world with respect.

I can't decide whether the resistance to the concept of global warming -- or as you said, the resistance to preventing the causes of global warming regardless of its severity -- betrays the fact that some Christian sects are self-centered well past the point of parity, or, if there's a guilt/denial factor because global warming is the elephant in the room that proves man, not God, controls his destiny on Earth.

Be that as it may, have fun trying to get the Trojan on the squirrel's dick with these fools. :D

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I've answered it. There's a difference between wise utilization of the earth's resources and adhering to a politically-motivated theory that on those merits, will never be universally accepted, by people or nations.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No, you missed my point all together -- I was simply saying -- and for the purpose of proving how many religious bigots we have on this board -- that you can use the same logic you did for why we should automatically go green even if global warming is a myth -- on a lot of different subjects, religion being one of them.

In other words, the underlying motivation for a lot of things that may or may not be true are likely noble and in many cases likely to produce positive results -- but that isn't a reason to adopt them universally.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Never said that, nice try though.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Describe that difference. That would be an answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.