1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conservative leaning op-ed pages

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 22, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

For the record, were I a newspaper, I'd be pretty moderate, more liberal on social issues and conservative on fiscal ones.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This makes me think of a "30 Rock" line once where one of the characters said matter-of-factly, "I'm a social conservative and a fiscal liberal." It was just funny because so many feel the way you feel that it was funny to hear it the other way.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That was Tracy, right? In an interview?

4. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

It was Liz Lemon's hilariously awful on-again-off-again boyfriend Dennis Duffy when asked by Jack how he would describe himself politically.

5. So in general - if a paper is making money it tends to lean Republican and if it is bleeding red ink it is solid Democratic.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

DAMMIT. I am filled with shame.

And Chris, where on earth do you get that from? What papers on that list are making money? Not the three Media General ones listed, I can tell you that.

7. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Ah, don't beat yourself up over it.
    Plenty of conservative papers folded eons ago like the Nashville Banner.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Never worked for a publisher who wasn't solidly conservative.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What papers don't make money? I'm talking real losses and not losses through accounting tricks.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There used to be a name for social conservative/fiscal liberal. It was called populism.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Whenever there's a thread like this, I continue to be amazed by how many journalists have no idea how a newspaper works.

Draft saved Draft deleted