1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conservapedia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

And then some. Oy vey.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Very well played, MW.

3. Mighty_Wingman

You're too kind. Seriously, though, if I was going to get offended, I'd be offended at the custom of measuring time from Jesus' birth, not the custom of being honest about why that particular year was chosen. "C.E." and "B.C.E." would only make a lick of sense if it had a different Year One than the A.D./B.C. system.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It makes sense if you know what they stand for.

It really is just a way to remove the whole "year of our lord" thing without quibbling over what number is shown on the calendar.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Again, though, it IS the year of their Lord. There's nothing "Common" about the era that is designated as beginning with the birth (it IS the birth, right, not the death?) of Jesus. It is a strictly Christian construct, and to be bothered by the name is illogical.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

"Commen" as in commonly accepted. And while it can be perceived as odd, there are people that would rather not refer to our current time as being the year of the lord. It is conceding where we start our counting, just not the religious aspect of it.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I thought it was funny being included in the group of Commandments.

It's sort of like reading "Thou shall change thy underwear every day" after "Thou shall not kill" .

8. Mighty_Wingman

Without the religious aspect, what's left?

9. You're gonna love this one, JR.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Canada

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I was a little surprised at their rather muted listing on marijuana.

11. Mighty_Wingman

William F. Buckley wasn't.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Simply: The year.

It really isn't a complicated concept. Some people don't believe the guy was Christ. Some people don't believe he was born. Some people don't give a shit. So instead of saying, "I was born in 1950, the year of our lord" (not that anyone says that) when they don't really believe in said lord, they can concede the year and say "I was born in 1950, common era."

Besides, did you forget how much of a pain in the ass Y2K was? Imagine how awful it would be if we're using "e" to help write a damn check (not that I have done that in quite some time). Not just this, but look at the wait for passports! Ugh, who wants to sit in the DMV anymore than they have to?

It really just isn't worth it to recount.

Draft saved Draft deleted