1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conrad Black Verdict

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Jul 12, 2007.

?

What will be the verdict for Conrad Black

1. Guilty on all charges

8.3%
  2. Not Guilty on all charges

8.3%
  3. Hung Jury-dismissal

41.7%
  4. Guilty but not for all charges

41.7%
  1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Thought it would be interesting to see how sj members will see this shake down.
    Back in March, MacLeans magazine did a great issue on the players of the Black trial and also the charges that he is facing. It is a great read if you need to br brought up to speed (if you have been in a cocoon and not realized that Lord Black's in trouble)

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

As one of his former workers, I hope the guy goes to jail for a long, long time (just for being a scummy, insufferable human being and an enemy to journalists everywhere), but I imagine he'll get charged on lesser crimes and get off on the others.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

From the way jury is swinging, he could be walking, according to yesterday's Sun-Times. They asked the judge for advice and she in turn admonished them for "stalling" and told them to come up with a verdict.

What is the ramifications if it ends in a hung jury?

4. The report I heard was that they were hung up on some, but not all, the charges.

5. D-3 Fan

I need to read up on this, since it's been a spell.

Forgive me for asking, but do the jury has to agree on all of the charges in order to nail his ass?

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

that's what lawyers are arguing, that it be a partial verdict

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Is that grounds for incarceration? We'd better build more prisons.

8. D-3 Fan

EE, thanks for the tidbit. If Conrad gets a spilt decision in the charges against him, it could get very interesting.

Guy, if I am correct, there is a country-club slammer in downstate Illinois. I think it's Marion, Illinois, right? Gotti spend some time there. Luckily he didn't have to watch "Growing Up Gotti." He would have drowned his three grandsons with one hand.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Marion is not a country-club prison. It's a max-security penitentiary.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is that the one right off of I-57 on the east side? You can see that thing for miles.

11. D-3 Fan

Thanks for the correction, Doc. Who has the country-club prison?

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

Black, as a non-US citizen, is not eligible for the Martha Stewart type prison. He's minimum to medium security.

Draft saved Draft deleted