1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Connection between food and cancer: Slim to none

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Katie Couric, too.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think it would be of interest only insofar as health insurance companies (or life insurers or pension actuaries, etc.) would very much like to know about information that's probably not worth acquiring. Even given those numbers, the cost to acquire the knowledge about who is (and is not) a heavy consumer of beef likely would swamp the value of that knowledge. Stigler wrote of this eternal tradeoff very well:

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Also. ... the information is of somewhat limited value to an insurance company's business model. From an actuarial standpoint, aggregate data could help them price their products, which is valuable. But there are a host of things stopping them from price discriminating based on the info, which limits its value.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If I am insuring 100,000 men and I can get 429 of them to not have cancer, that sure as shit is going to affect the cost of insuring these men. Especially if they get cancer in their 50s and have not been paying premiums that long.

If the cost to my company is an extra $25,000 per patient, that's $10.7 million I don't want to have to pay out on benefits or $107 per person.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What percentage of men in that subset are simply obese, and the heavy beef eating is a byproduct of obesity, instead of a standalone cause?

7. doctorquant

First of all, heavy beef eating can't be a byproduct of obesity ... unless you have some theory to suggest that obesity increases one's tendency to crave/consume red meat. Temporality is key.

Second, the study in question controlled for all sorts of other factors -- age, sex, height, weight, fiber intake, etc.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

But the fact is, there are not just two groups; there are dozens of groups of beef eaters. For example, there are beef eaters who smoke. Beef eaters who smoke and never exercise. Beef eaters who smoke, never exercise, and never touch a green vegetable. Beef eaters who smoke, never exercise, and never touch a green vegetable and eat hundreds of grams of carbs a day, etc. etc.

9. doctorquant

From the published article:

Here endeth today's research methods seminar.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well if I spent all my time reading research articles, instead of just occassionally commenting on sports blogs about them, I could put doctor in front of my handle.

;)

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Of course it is.

Also, why do you think they charge more if you smoke?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They cap the number of degrees you can have and still be an insurance investigator.

Draft saved Draft deleted