1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Connecting the dots between sexy media guides and homophobia?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Nov 24, 2009.

1. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Being friends with more than one D1 women's hoops coach, I am told the "L" question comes up in every home visit. EVERY home visit. Even the ones where the parents are the last to know little Susie is playing for the home team. Apparently assuring the folks "the gay" has never occured at your program while assuring Susie you don't care one whit what she does with her private life is key. So it very much can benefit a program to throw out the hetero card publically.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I had a friend in college who's sister was a highly recruited basketball player. She narrowed her choices to the two big in-state schools and eventually decided to go to the school she didn't like quite as well and play for the coach she didn't like quite as much because she wasn't comfortable being "the only straight girl on the team."

The fact that this school was able to land her and another good in-state recruit played a key role in that program overtaking the other for several years.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's the thing. It is an issue in women's sport. The problem with this column is the writer tried to draw a connection to something that is not related based on an idiotic stereotype that lesbians don't like to dress nice.

4. I think this column at least started a healthy conversation on the subject (at least on this board), which might be its intended purpose.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The "L" vs. "H" question also comes up quite frequently in softball.

But discussing whether wearing makeup or a dress is proof of heterosexuality is a canard. Plenty of lipstick lesbians exist out there, and after all, someone has to be a "bottom."

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's some funny stuff there, Gland of Graphite.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but she could have done it better if she had chosen to really go after the topic rather than making the ridiculous connection to media guide pictures and perpetuating the foolish stereotype about lesbians.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I have long been fascinated by the apparent double standard regarding homosexuality in sports. We seem to presume and (to a degree) accept that lesbians are rampant in women's athletics, but we deny and ridicule the notion of gays in men's sports.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Who does?

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As if that needs to be said

11. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Keep the writers away from gymnastics media guides.

12. Frankly, I always thought the hyphenization of multi-syllabic married names screamed this.

Draft saved Draft deleted