1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Connecting the dots between sexy media guides and homophobia?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Nov 24, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tank top, basketball shorts and flip-flops exudes impressive

2. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

A bit off topic, but while a student assistant in my alma mater's Sports Information Department, one of my assignments was to put together the women's basketball guide one season.

I got along with the head coach well and when students returned to school in September I went by his office one day to talk about the media guide cover, see if he had any suggestions.

"Pencil Dick, I'm glad you stopped by," coach says. "I've been thinking about this media guide all summer."

Uh-oh.

"Follow me," he says, getting up and walking down the hallway.

We walk over to the women's team locker room, pass the dressing area and toward the bathroom stalls.

"Here's what I'm thinking," he says. "We've got our two best players back in (Player A) and (Player B). We'll put them in uniforms, have them come in here, pull down their shorts and sit on the toilet. That's our cover shot."

I am speechless.

"I've even come up with a slogan for you. You ready?"

By this time I'm already laughing.

"BUMBLEFUCK WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: WE AIN'T WORTH A SHIT!"

P.S. If I remember correctly, he was spot on with his prediction about the season, BTW.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Exactly! With the way they are lined up and the coach’s pose...

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I didn't like the column, the initial concept of it isn't a bad one.

Several years ago, we were in the office and our columnist comes over and shows us the media guide of the two local Division I programs, both very successful. One was coached by a man and the other was coached by a woman who I don't know if was officially "out" but if she wasn't, it was the worst kept secret in the world.

In one guide the pictures were very tasteful, but the players have clearly been made up and have their hair done and what not.

In the other guide, the players were flexing and trying to look like badasses.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've dealt with a women's basketball coach who was a lesbian and one of the best dressers I've ever seen. Come to think of it, I never saw her wear the same dress twice. Bad, bad column writing.

6. Mizzougrad96

There are plenty of schools that use both sides of this as a recruiting tool.

"This is a very lesbian-friendly school."

"You won't have to worry about lesbians at this school."

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That is the funniest thing I've read here since Bubbler's Wal-Mart at midnight.
    Good stuff.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The only two schools in this country where you won't have to worry about lesbians is at Wabash and Hampden-Sydney.

9. Mizzougrad96

And UConn and until recently, Penn State.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, people at Penn State seemed to spend quite a bit of time worrying about lesbians with Portland there.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

John Gagliardi says it's not a problem at St. John's either.

But they do have to separate the men from the boys with a crowbar in Collegeville.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The column may be a stretch; as has been said, dressing WBB players (and women athletes in particular) in fancy duds is old hat in media guides.

However, there's also a very, very clear reason why some women's basketball media guides conspicuously display many pictures of their school's coach, if it's a woman, with her husband and children if she's married and has a family.

Draft saved Draft deleted