1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Connecting the dots between sexy media guides and homophobia?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Nov 24, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Got absolutely no problem with this route for media guides. Though in Texas A&M's case, it's not exactly "sexy." Only two of the girls are smiling. Kinda baffling to me. If you're going to go that route, at least have some fun with it. FSU's is much better in that regard.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Ragu, whenever I google "lesbian fantasies" I have a hard time finding pics of dowdy women in carharts to satisfy me. What am I doing wrong?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's saying "This is why IJAG loves Duke football."

Well, that and Steve Spurrier.

That being said, I think everyone on here is right. Her column is more homophobic and insulting than anything any of these photos is portraying.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Thank God Sarah Palin never posed for a media guide cover.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Has anybody ever written a good, in-depth story about sexuality and it's role in women's basketball. There's a fantastic read somewhere in that subject, but it's such a touchy issue.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would rather see the same design but with the players wearing what they want to wear.

Do some of the girls don't look too comfortable trying to sell themselves as "sexy."

That would be my first concern.

And yes, some of these players are freeking hot.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They're women basketball players so I bet that half of them are lesbians. :)

Reminds me of a scene in the first season of Rescue Me where the fire chief goes into a bar and beats up a self-confessed gay fireman.

Someone said to him, "It was a GAY bar" Chief goes, "Nah, it wasn't a gay bar, they were all regular guys"

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The women look pretty. Considering what's out there, I think it's more on the classy side of the continuum than the sexy side.

What do you know - it turns out ladies can play basketball afterall.

/crossthreading

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

She obviously had a tanegent she wanted to go off on and was just looking for a vehicle to deliver it in. The Media guide thing pops up and tries -- unsuccessfully -- to use it to deliver her homophobia in women's sports column.

Just a bad stretch in the connection.

And the A&M coach just looks creepy.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

There are just as many lesbians in women's basketball as in sports journalism. Its independent of how you dress or what you look like or what you do for free time. Jeez, its 2009 and the stereotypes are still perpetuated.

11. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Well, at least Texas A&M didn't use that cover design and ask in the player Q & A "Shaved or unshaved?"

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

"You know why Tennessee's media guide doesn't have a cover like that, don't you?"--Geno Auriemma

Draft saved Draft deleted