1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Connecting bar speaker to LCD TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NickMordo, May 11, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

OK, having trouble with connecting my bar speaker to my 37" Toshiba LCD. The iPod dock, FM tuner both work on the speaker, but can't seem to figure out how to get surround sound for the TV. The speaker came with RCA cables and I've tried plugging them in numerous ways:

1) Red and White in Aux In, Yellow in Audio Out
    2) Red and White in Audio In, Yellow in Audio Out
    3) Using each setting (AV 1, AV2, Aux In, Line In) on the speaker

No dice. This shouldn't be that hard and the speaker obviously works because it plays music from the iPod and FM tuning, so it's either me not having the settings correct once the RCA cables are plugged in or the cables are just plugged into the wrong spots on either the TV or the speaker (or both).

Help, SJ technicians!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ummm, what do the directions suggest?

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

It says:

"Plug RCA cable into COMPOSITE VIDEO OUT OUTPUT (yellow) on bar speaker and composite video input on TV"

"Plug remaining plugs on RCA audio/video into RCA Auxiliary inputs on bar speaker and the RCA outputs on the TV"

It then says to adjust the TV's settings, which I can't figure out after two f-cking hours, pissing me off

4. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

In your TV menus there should be some sort of option for Audio Out. You have to change the audio out to wherever you set up the cords.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

yellow is always video for these sorts of setups. I doubt it even needs to be hooked up. But red should go to red and white to white (on both speaker and tv).

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sorry, I only know how to perform this action on 35 and 42 inch Toshibas. ;D

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Funny guy! I figured out the problem: the speaker only has component input and the TV has no output, so basically the speaker blows and has digital/optical output. Weak technology. Off to find a new one.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Welp, I have a journalism degree so I don't know what the world of flat screens looks like anyway.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You have to go to settings and turn on audio out.

Draft saved Draft deleted