1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Connecticut's Newspapers are Dying - Good"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Nov 30, 2008.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i agree with the author. fucking media. why are they always spreading lies about global warming and "alleged dangers of pesticides." global warming is a figment of the media's imagination. pesticides are good for people.

2. goneup

goneup Member

We can make jokes about how stupid people must be to think the media is biased, but the reality is some do. However they came to that conclusion, they're giving newspapers the finger and we're sinking, partly as a result.
    And it goes both ways. If one person gets "news" from moveon.org and another gets "news" from Hannity, they might both look at the same newspaper and call it biased.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes. And they're still stupid, so it's fun to make jokes about them.

I think that's giving those idiots too much credit. In fact, you could say the more they bitch about the media, the better it is FOR the media, because a.) it's proof they're paying attention and b.) it keeps the media in the forefront. It'd be far worse if they were just ignoring the media.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Which has exactly what to do with his letter about media in the state of Connecticut?

5. lono

lono Active Member

I abhor the fact that journalists are losing jobs.

And I hate the thought that the traditional watchdog role of the media won't be there in some places in the future.

But for the love of Fresca, people, do JRC papers deserve to live after being gutted, neutered, scattered, smothered and covered by Jelenic and his minions?

JRC has spent two decades running the editorial quality of its papers into the ground.

It represents the worst of Wall Street values and while I'm sure the remaining employees at JRC pride themselves on serving their communities, I can't imagine they have anywhere near the resources necessary to do what a newspaper is supposed to do.

JRC is a shell and a sham and a mockery of what newspapers are supposed to be. Its management mocks editorial quality and the passion of the people in newsrooms.

As a watchdog, JRC is blind, toothless and senile.

We're supposed to root for JRC to survive?

Like I said, I hate that good people are losing jobs and I hope everyone affected will find life better after they move on.

But JRC can't die too soon for me.

6. goneup

goneup Member

Those "idiots" you think are stupid also think we (the media) are stupid. After reading your post, I'd be inclined to take their side.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

Same thought crossed my mind.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Huh?

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

There are more than you'd think. Hell, I'm conservative, but you won't catch me not reading newspapers. Working in this business, that'd be like swallowing a cyanide pill after drinking hemlock.

I know what this guy was trying to say about liberal newspapers, but there's 10,000 tangents to his argument and most all of them are head-scratchers.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The guy is claiming these papers are going out of business because he claims they are liberal. I pointed out the Sun as a right-wing example to show the fallacy of his argument.

Fact is, these papers are going out of business for plenty of other reasons beside their political leanings.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course, this Junior Repube cum-puddle is oblivious to the fact that JRC papers, under the cast-iron rule of his hero, Herr Jelenic, had some of the most hysterically right-wing editorial standpoints of any media outlets anywhere -- in and of themselves a complete refutation of his dim-witted cliched premise.

Go chop down a few redwoods and butcher some baby seals, D. Dowd. You'll feel good after you do.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I was thinking he might enjoy running over a polar bear with a Hummer while smoking a cigar.

Draft saved Draft deleted