1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Connecticut Supreme Court overturns same-sex marriage ban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Honestly, as a denizen of CT, I think Rell's decision speaks more to the support for the ruling in the state than anything else. I don't have any solid numbers in front of me or anything, so that's simply my estimation, but it seems as if most of the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive.

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Why don't we just execute or put under house arrest as hate-crime criminals or terroristic threat makers anyone who opposes gay marriage? After all, aren't they voting or stating their opinion out of hatred and bigotry? They should be shunned as pariahs, stripped of their voting rights and anything else you can think of. Yeah. That's the ticket.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Good, old Yawn. Always standing up for bigots and hate-mongers. Keep up the good fight.

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

As one of my best friends from high school said the other day: "I may not know how to spell Connecticut, but I CAN get married there."

5. ScribePharisee

What's really funny is that someone I asked what Yawn was about and told me said he got tossed and Dickens Cider became another guy, Fenian Bastard. But then I saw on a thread tonight that Fenian is a newbie. Oh well, maybe you will one day see Yawn really return.

In the meantime, back to the conversation:
    I'm serious. I've read all the arguments on this topic in SportsJournalists.com. The left will simply not bend on this, and won't recognize any argument that the right has for this issue. So when they take over both branches of government, Obama ought to do what I said with all of those bigoted hatemongers and get them off Main Street. Me? Hey, I was lost but now am found. I'm all for it. If you can't bend them, surrender. Just think of it as the two-years-in democratic strategy in Iraq.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Well, let's take a minute and look at the "arguments" of the right:

• The biblical argument. Last I checked, this country was founded on separation of church and state -- that one's religious beliefs would have no deciding factors in the making of the law. So that argument is shot to hell.

• The majority argument. If the majority always got its way, the South would still be plantations, complete with slaves.

And my all-time favorite:

• Legislating from the bench. The winning side never complains that judges "legislated from the bench," but the losing side, especially if it's the right, always trots out that weak-assed crap. Using the case on this thread, the Connecticut constitution guarantees equal rights for all citizens. The judges used that guarantee to say that marriage, and the benefits that are given to it, cannot be held for just one group. That is not legislating from the bench, that is interpreting the constitution and saying that the law that was passed didn't meet the standard.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Putting it on the ballot is a plot by Republicans to get out the evangelical vote and flip California from blue to red .

8. ScribePharisee

Like I said, those against it should be muzzled and sent away. Does Russia still have some of those blueprints for "re-education camps?" These people need that or to simply not exist. Their voices are irrelevant and so is their vote. When they "get it" like the rest of us do, then come rejoin society.

9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Scribe, you miss the point (not that I should be too surprised)....
    Why should you get to vote for someone's equal rights? The legislative branch (and by extension) the people get a say in lawmaking. But the courts are the checks-and-balances for laws that do not pass Constitutional muster.

I'm not saying that if you disagree you should be ignored. But if you disagree with someone being granted equal rights under the constitution of a state, then you are just flat out wrong.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good for Connecticut.

11. ScribePharisee

You're arguing with the wind man. Your side has ignored any argument as relevant so what's the point of an open table of debate when you begin with the declaration that no argument against it is valid? Breeze, meet wind.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Anything you'd like to plagiarize for us on this matter?

Draft saved Draft deleted