1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Connecticut Supreme Court overturns same-sex marriage ban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Oct 10, 2008.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If you thought McCain-Palin rallies have been hatefests this week, imagine what they'll be like now? The only thing they're lacking is Leni Reifenstahl on the Panaflex.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Triumph of the Shrill

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Now if only NJ can get rid of the separate distinction.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Outstanding, dools.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I missed this thread as I was away for the past couple days, but definitely some good news from my home state.

The Courant had a solid feature today about two of the plaintiffs in the case:

http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-kerrigan1012.artoct12,0,2749304.story

6. Don't count on three states for long.
    I think Cali's gonna vote it down.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yes to Prop 8 just had a commercial run in California stating why voting yes for Prop 8 (which will overturn the ruling and make gay marriage illegal) is a good idea.

Their reason? If gay marriage is allowed, we'll have to tell our kids ini school about gay people.

Oh, the humanity.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The "sanctity of marriage" argument is always amusing to me too.

You know, since 50 percent of marriages end in divorce.

If we're going to go there, we might as well do mandatory jail time for adultery. Sanctity of marriage and all.

9. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I live in the South. Unless the federal government makes it legal across the country, then there won't be anything close to gay marriage down here. It's bullshit, but it's also the way it is.

10. I'm not saying I approve, god knows. I keep reading stories about a huge money/advertising gap on this issue. Waht's the deal?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Connecticut governor shut down the very idea of trying to alter the ruling.

Interesting choice. Says something about the power of a court - either way - when a governor says "I don't agree...but I won't bother."

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Am a little surprised polls in California, and the fundraising levels, could even raise the possibility of banning gay marriage. But I always forget that people in Orange County, and the backwaters of inland and middle California have the right to vote too.

(when I say inland, I don't mean Riverside, Ontario or San Bernardino, either. It's a big state).

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5idt68rkqwoMLv_zC_2DphsrlWanwD93PRFQ02

Draft saved Draft deleted