1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Connecticut School of Broadcasting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by drodriguez2, Dec 12, 2007.

1. drodriguez2

drodriguez2 New Member

Hey everyone,

My son wants to attend the Connecticut School of Broadcasting next fall instead of/before going onto a four year college.

Does anyone know about CSB?

Thanks in advance

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Why would he want to go broadcast school and then get a college degree? He should be able to land a gofer job/internship at a small radio or TV station that will wind up teaching him the basics as well as a broadcasting school would. Actually, it would be better.

If he's planning just to go to broadcast school, it really doesn't do him much good. When he's done, he'll still be looking for an entry level position at a small station that barely pays above minimum wage. Plus, if he ever gets out of the business, his only "higher education" is a certificate from a trade school that's not relevant to any other career. The way radio is going with cutbacks due to consolidation, automation and voice tracking, there have to be fewer jobs than ever.

A friend works for Clear Channel. In his market, he works mornings and he's on four different stations doing sports updates that range from three minutes (sports talk station) to 30 seconds (light rock station). He also does traffic reports. Then he voice tracks an afternoon DJ show, which takes him a half hour to do. The point is those jobs used to be filled by five people.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

I'm 53 and it was around when I was young. If it were my kid, I would lock up all of the knives and tell him "Over my dead body."

Going to college, especially a college with a radio station, is a far better thing to do. Even at a good broadcasting trade school, they learn basics so they can get a minimum wage job in western Nebraska (or some other place away from everything).

As someone once told me, if you go to college hopefully you will have something intelligent to say on the radio.

Also, with syndicated talk shows like ESPN radio and Rush Limbaugh, along with consolidation of ownership, there really is less and less local broadcasting. The future of radio is very uncertain - it is possible in 10 years podcasting could be as big as broadcasting.

I went to college with the idea of being a radio sportscaster, ignoring the fact that I don't have a great voice and had some ability as a writer. Back then, we all hoped to get a job in a small radio station, pay our dues, and work our way up. Most of the people wanted to be disc jockeys on music shows.

Today, somebody could probably make a better living being a DJ at weddings, parties, clubs, etc.

I think Connecticut School of Broadcasting, like a lot of technical schools, is providing job training today for the jobs of yesterday.

4. sound advice from both smasher + gold

keep him away from that place

he'll wind up reading hog futures at a 10-watt station in Lewiston, Mont., for $11,500 a year.

get him to a real college, where he can study broadcasting and a few other things he might be interested in as well. and if he does stick with radio, at worst, he can take that job in Lewistown but more likely will get a real job.

good luck to him

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I know a guy who teaches for one of those places. For every "success" story that comes from a place like that, and I the ones I know I can count on one hand, you figure there have to be a bazillion people that went no where.

A four-year university will be infinitely better. Infinitely. Your kid will learn much, much more about broadcasting that way.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

*-Not affiliated with the Columbia School of Broadcasting, which is not affiliated with the Columbia Broadcasting System.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If it doesn't involve drawing a parrott off a matchbook, it's not a real trade school.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd send him to DeVry.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No way! U. of Phoenix, bay-bee!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey, the cardinals play there! Leave the U alone!

11. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I've always wanted to go to ITT Tech.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

drodriguez2,

I echo what everybody else posted.

I work in broadcasting as a sports anchor/reporter.

Tell your son not to do it, particularly if he's interested in being on-air. He needs a college degree.

Draft saved Draft deleted