1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conn. tragedy - memorial service

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jul 29, 2007.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I am posting this as a separate to the thread on the sports and news board, because I think it deserves its own thread.

This story written in the Hartford Courant was absolutely perfect about today's memorial service. Only one paragraph was devoted to what happened last Monday; the rest was about the service and the father/husband, the lone survivor, and his remembrances. I think this provides a good example to our younger hacks on how to properly cover something as tragic as this was.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hcu-petit-service-0728,0,1400519.story

Before any of you rubes say it, no, I'm not Jesse Hamilton. But I think he did an outstanding job.

2. andykent

andykent Member

Corky,

Yes, very well done indeed by Hamilton.

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Remarkable.

4. Sly

Sly Active Member

It's strange. As much as I'm interested in this story, I find myself terribly depressed after reading the coverage. I can't comprehend how another human being -- let alone, two -- can be so unbelievably cruel and deranged. I really hope that Dr. Petit can find some measure of peace and be able to keep honoring the legacy of what sounds like a great family.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't been able to read a word of it yet. I saw a picture of the dad yesterday and it tore me up.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, the story was well done.

mrs. petty and i discussed this topic last night. for as self-centered as i may seem on an internet board, i don't think i like myself enough to continue on with life if something such as this happened to my family.

i only hope this gentleman has more courage than i and can piece his life back together.

Draft saved Draft deleted