1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conn. pols talk JRC rescue

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Nov 25, 2008.

1. I was going to post but jfs got in my head and wrote all the good stuff.
    Mitt Romney wants to break unions. Period. It's what he does.
    Biggest. Fake. Ever.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Flipper's leg quivers at the thought of it.

3. The government already saved a bunch of journalism jobs (at least temporarily) by carving out an antitrust exemption to allow JOA syndicates (err, partnerships).

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So your line of thinking is that a bailout would save the Big Three? A bailout would not encourage the American car companies to innovate their way out of this mess. Bankruptcy would allow to Big Three to get rid of dealerships and slim down. While that would be bad for newspapers because of advertising, it would let the Big Three emerge as stronger companies.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Stitch, would you be willing to buy a car from a manufacturer in bankruptcy that may not survive for the life of your vehicle?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I work for a newspaper. I can't afford a new car.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea of colleagues losing jobs, but I really don't like the idea of public money entering into the equation.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is much different than Joey Boombatzio opening a pizzeria.

This is a major conflict of interest, when our credibility — scandals, aside — is the only thing we have left.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

On one hand, the era of no conflicts of interest at a newspaper are long gone. When noted monopoly Cablevision guts owns Newsday, the lines are so blurred as to not even exist. And the JRC products in CT are so shitty that they couldn't get any worse.

But on the other hand...not so sure I'd want politicians owning newspapers.

Ahh fuck it. I'm going back to school to become a lawyer.

10. beanpole

beanpole Member

I don't think they're talking about anything other than tax incentives and small business loans that are available to any other start-up business or corporation. If that's the case, I've got no problem with this.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Joey's Pizza doesn't cover city government, beanpole.

BYH, we've let the foxes in, but no reason to give them the hens, unabated. I don't want government money directly paying for my journalism.

Buck, I think we probably agree mostly on this issue. I get that we need to pay the bills, but there is a point where we need to hang onto the only thing we have -- and that is our credibility.

Draft saved Draft deleted