1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congresswoman Giffords' return remains "uncertain"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 9, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Her Chief of Staff indicates something that's been hinted at for weeks...the Congresswoman is still in bad shape, and may never return to anything close to a normal life.

I hate to return to a theme for which I've been lauded and loathed, but...she owes it to her constituents to resign and allow for an orderly, timely replacement.

I also have to wonder, if she's really as bad off as the story hints at, why the hell did her husband go on the ultimate extended road trip?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought it was pretty bad that her husband went on the mission. I also know a lot of people vehemently disagree with my view on that.

I just wonder if they info that was given out before he left that she was doing better was false.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Pretty presumptuous to say what the husband should or shouldn't do, that seems like something best decided between the spouses. I am assuming he got the most informed medical opinion that she would most likely survive until he returned, and she would probably continue a slow recovery in that time. Who knows until I am in that position, but I would never want my spouse to miss out on an almost impossible lifelong dream in order to sit with me in a hospital room where dozens of other people are there to lend physical and moral support.
  4. Mizzougrad96

It's a fair point.

I just kind of always got the sense with him that he was going no matter what. Maybe that's what happens when Type A personalities marry each other.
  5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I never thought Giffords was going to recover enough to serve in Congress again. She's lucky she didn't die instanly.

As for her husband leaving, sounds like a marriage of two people who were already married to their jobs.

I remember when Allard Baird was GM of the Royals. He fired a manager at some point when the Royals were sucking and deadpanned "I'm dedicating my life to turning this thing around. This franchise means more to me than my family." or something to that effect. It was kind of crazy.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

These situations are always tough, but ikn fairness the people of Arizona deserve representation by someone they elected, not her staff.

The same concept should apply when it's obvious an official elected to to a long term - specifically Strom Thurmond or Quentin Burdick in the final 3-4 years of their Senate careers - are essentially clueless and their staff was making the decisoons for the office, not the man elected.

I also always wondered why a South Carolina opponent didn't use Thurmond's age and obvious dimished mental capacity as an election issue. It's clearly a legit one.
  7. Mizzougrad96

There was a reason why the guy was re-elected a couple thousand times. I don't think attacking him (while completely fair and legitimate) would have worked.
  8. micropolitan guy

I didn't say "attack." If youth and inexperience are a legit election issue, so should age and diminished physical and mental capacity.
  9. Mizzougrad96

The problem is... Old people vote.

I agree with you... It's just funny that it's not something that's really ever been done effectively.
  10. micropolitan guy

And it's an issue both parties can use, so they both stay away.
  11. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

They've been midleading all this time about her condition to sound positive, talking about how she "asked for toast for breakfast" a long while back and stuff like that. What probably happened in reality was she grunted something that sounded like "toast" and they asked if that's what she wanted and she nodded.

That said, I pray that she recovers so that she can live a life with her family. But they need to just be quiet about her condition unless something miraculous happens for real.
  12. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Intentionally or not, this thread title sounds exactly like something Michelle Tafoya would report on "Monday Night Football" from the sidelines when talking about an injured LB.
Draft saved Draft deleted