1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congressmen sleeping in offices

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Ya all can park your ass on your Capital couch but I can't leave my Benz in the Capital garage. What sup with that shit" / Charlie Rangel.

[​IMG]

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Just more proof that people don't appreciate how many luxuries they have. Having trouble making it on $25k in this business? You've got a desk, why do you need an apartment?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's politicians from both sides that can't get along. If you blame just one party, you aren't paying attention. I also would be embarrassed to be called a journalist if you can't see it the problems on both sides of the aisle.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Made my earlier comment before reading the story. After reading it, I'm still there. If they're going to save money by sleeping in their offices, those savings should be passed on to the taxpayers.

5. From the story...

But CREW seemed unsympathetic to the money-saving or workaholic arguments. "If legislators are going to treat their offices as dorm rooms, at the very least they should pay the appropriate taxes," Sloan said. "In any event, it brings discredit upon the House for members of Congress to sleep in their House offices, making it more difficult for housekeeping, maintenance and construction crews to do their jobs. And really, who wants to run into a member of Congress in need of a shower wandering the halls in sweats or a robe?"

Are you really going to be so by-the-book that you think congressmen should be paying tax to sleep on a pullout couch in their office but then think it's OK to make a joke about seeing one of them in sweat pants or a bath robe?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Especially when the lion's share of your waking hours are spent at said desk. Honestly, I some nights I wonder what the point of driving home really is?

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Every head coach in the NFL snickers at this story. "Poor babies, I pay a mortgage on a $3 million house two miles from the practice facility and I still sleep on a cot that smells like Bill Parcells' nutsack even after 20 years.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't see what the big deal is. I have an old book written by Kennedy's personal secretary, in which she said JFK would always take an hour nap on his office couch right after lunch. She was always instructed not to let anyone in to see him, and to give him a wakeup call.

Although as Rick says, now we'll be seeing newspapers telling this to their employees when they complain about pay. "Well, you don't really need an apartment. You can just sleep here. And we'll deduct some of your paycheck as rent."

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

They make $174,000.

They can rent a goddamned apartment.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'll bet he did. Shouldn't "wakeup call" be in quotes.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They have to maintain two houses on that and DC isn't cheap.

I think they should just pool their money and get a party house like the one the Dallas Cowboys used to have.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Morry Taylor, in his 1996 run for the GOP nomination that attracted 140 votes and Michael Lewis's unyielding love, proposed turning the Pentagon into a hotel for visiting Congressional types. Guessing that's not a likely option in the near-term future.

Draft saved Draft deleted