1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congressman takes credit for Rocky Mountain News closing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Mar 3, 2009.

1. I was generalizing. You can't tell me that the Democrats use hatred of the press as the same shit stirrer that Gov. You Betcha, Rush the Entertainer, Ann Adam's Apple and the rest of the GOP does, can you?

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

"Hatred of the press?" I think you're a little overwrought.

Also, weren't we talking about politicians? I don't think El Rushbo holds any elective office. And I don't have any idea who Ann Adams is.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

What a douchebag.

4. He may not hold an elected office, but he is no less the leader of his party than Barack Obama is the leader of his.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I hate to threadjack, so I'll keep my response to this fresh-baked talking point simple:

Rush Limbaugh is a popular political talk-show host. I know the concept is sometimes difficult for my friends on the left to understand, because for some reason they don't have any. (Except Garrison Keillor, I guess.) What he is not, in any way, is a politician.

Though there's acres and acres of examples out there to point to, I'll keep it simple: If Limbaugh had one-tenth the power liberals suddenly see fit to pretend he possesses, John McCain would never have been the Republican nominee for President in 2008. Check the record: Limbaugh's been ripping ol' Mr. Maverick for a decade, and though they mended fences down the stretch for party unity's sake, he certainly wasn't the candidate of what I'll term the "AMroots." (Talkroots? Foxroots?)

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is scary, and the worst part of what is going on with the traditional press problems and its hot-heirs-apparent.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Rush's power isn't at the highest levels. It's a few floors down, with those easily manipulated by buzzwords and talking points, but it helps those at the higher levels, with real power, strategize because it's a different sort of politics-by-polls approach, and one that doesn't require hiring an expensive polling firm.

8. I disagree. He's the leader of the party right now, and drives policy more than anyone else in the party. His speech was the centerpiece of the recent leadership conference. And two prominent GOP politicians, including newly appointed chair Michael Steele, have apologized for criticizing him or insinuating that he somehow lacks the power of an elected or appointed official.

Rush is definitely the party's face and its most important voice, and the core of his message is that the media is unfair and out to destroy the party he leads.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm an equal opportunity f*** the pols kind of person. I really hope Polis's words come back to haunt him come election time.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Problem is, Rush DOES represent just enough of the block that, without it, you have no shot of getting nominated, but also, WITH it, you are doomed in a general election.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agree 100 percent, F-Town. Any jerk who dances on the grave of a closed business -- and the hundreds of people it used to employ -- shouldn't be one of our nation's leaders, regardless of political party.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You're right. It's been so long, I can't remember a time when Rush's beloved Republicans were in power.

Draft saved Draft deleted