1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congressman proposes killing BCS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Piece-of-shit fucks??? Now how would you feel if someone said that about the armed forces when some of them had done something stupid?

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I for one support the idea. A playoff system is the only way I'll return to following college football and while I know my support isn't making or breaking the system, I'd like to think most intelligent people in the world can see the problem with the fact that the Little League World Series can crown a national champion from thousands of teams and the NCAA can't with all of 144.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Or even 119.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Why not go after the tax-exempt status of many of the bowl games and the "foundations" that run them?

If that is not enough, tax university affiliated athletic programs and audit their books.

Then you can move on to removing the deductability of donations to athletic departments. I wonder how many new $100M field houses will be built if that were to happen...

The reason bowl games continue to survive is they are profitable for the schools and for the "foundations" that run them. If that profitability is reduced, there might be more willingness to look for a "new revenue stream"...

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm not shocked a Texan introduced this. However, I am shocked it was Barton. He's a Texas A&M Aggie and extremely proud of it.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The big pollution bucks must be drying up for Smoky Joe. Bad economy and all.

7. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

What's the difference, Sock? Don't the Big 12 schools comprise the Big 12?

8. Bail out the Detroit Lions?

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

They're not miracle workers.

"And with the No. 1 pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions have selected ..... Pierre Brown, Texas A&M? What the fuck?"

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Lord's truth.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

wfw

I find this news unbelievable, and frankly I'm surprised more people aren't jumping all over these Congressmen. Sure, pandering to your constituents is one thing, but now???

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

The issue, of this thread anyway, isn't whether college football should have a playoff -- I agree that it should -- the issue is whether Congress should be wasting time or money trying to get involved.

I suspect most people think they should not, especially not now.

Draft saved Draft deleted