1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congressman Creepy's Office...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

No it's not. Unless you plan on running for office, or being a campaign manager it isn't worth being obsessed over it. You scan the internet daily searching for anything that makes W. or the Repubs look bad (granted it's not a tough search)....and what do you gain from it? It pisses you off, makes your blood boil but has it changed a thing?

Take a break, have a little fun......make Bush bashing a part-time job.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, I was for Reagan before I was against him.

I'll give you Reagan. And I salute you for your optimism.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

While you were arguing, Rep. Foley has resigned from Congress. Seems there may other e-mails out there.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

That was quick:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Rep. Mark Foley, R-Florida, submitted a letter of resignation from Congress on Friday in the wake of questions about e-mails he wrote a former male page, according to a congressional official. Foley, 52, had been considered a shoo-in for re-election until the e-mails surfaced in recent days.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wow. So then those excuses and rationalizations were lies?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Never mind my argument from earlier this thread.

Rule #1: NEVER EVER think the good thought of anybody. It never works out.

7. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Just stating the obvious, but there has to be more to this story.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure. He probably wants to spend more time with his family, I'll reckon.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

10. Reagan's goal was to cut taxes because Americans better know what to do with their own money than the government does. The money from the tax cuts put back into the economy act as a spark that generates more business and with it more and new Federal revenue. W used tax cuts to stimulate the economy after 9/11 and that has worked very well. Once upon a time democrats also realized that tax cuts helped a "rising tide to lift all boats" but sadly no more.

As far as deficits are concerned - when Reagan was in office all you heard about from the we know whats best for you MSM was the deficits he was creating by rebuilding the military and cutting taxes. Turns out that the crying of wolf was a bunch of BS by know-nothing liberal elitists. Tax raising liberals like LBJ and his great society and history's greatest buffoon Jimmy Carter are the ones who destroy the economy - not tax cutting leaders like Reagan and W.

11. And I salute you for being one of the few who tries to see both sides while retaining an air of decorum

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Wow, that was quick.

As for the issue of "outing," here's the consensus I got most recently from talking to people about a story in which a college lacrosse coach outed himself. Generally, except the hardest core, most leave the decision of outing up to the individual -- you've got to walk out of your own closet. However, an exception is made if it's a person who is publicly espousing anti-gay rhetoric or aligned with anti-gay causes. Foley, presumably, was made an exception because he was such an ardent supporter of Bush, and worked in Florida to make sure he got the state in the 2000 aftermath. There were a group of gay activists who worked to out Congresspeople during the 2004 debate on gay marriage. Lest you think it was Republicans only, one target was the never-married Democratic rep from Maryland, Barbara Mikulski, who has not always been kind to gay interests. She denied the, um, charges?

Actually, something funny one person I talked to for my story said. Proving you're gay is the easiest thing in the world. Proving you're not gay is impossible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.