1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congressman Creepy's Office...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlleyAllen - make no mistake - the only reason FB started this thread was to try and smear Republicans. If this guy had a D next to his name you know damn well FB never starts the thread. Soley politically motivated in Mugwa's twisted heart.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Maybe it's politically motivated in F_B's heart, but we all know better. Why stoop to a Dems vs. GOP debate when it's not necessary?

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Dude used his AOL account to ask a 16-year-old boy to send pictures and the kid reported that he felt it was creepy. I think the kid's instincts are pretty good. It's creepy. Law broken? No. Creepy. Yes.

4. I agree with you 100%.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Foley has served in the House for twelve years. He ran for Senate in 2004, but dropped out of the race, in the words of the Hotline, "after being ID'd as a homosexual by a 'gay-oriented publication.'" Foley says he left the race "because of family difficulties."

More smoke here, but nah, surely no fire. Right?

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/001627.php

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

To add to Point of Order:

Three years ago, Foley held a Mike Piazza-style press conference to say that he wasn't gay, after gay publications in Florida had said as much. He said, like now, his opponents were engaged in a smear campaign to "slur me" with the tag of homosexuality. Interestingly, at the time Foley was known for supporting anti-discrimination legislation of all kinds, and I believe he did vote against the federal gay marriage ban. Anyway, the rumors have never gone away.

Foley is currently engaged in a House race that has gone from laughably safe to a little bid of cold sweat. Foley still carries a double-digit lead, but various polls show his lead has been halved over the last month.

It seems strange that being gay would make a difference in a district that doesn't seem to have a problem with a Republican voting pro-gay (Foley represents Palm Beach). However, every member of Congress who is out has done so only after election.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, Dexter. Can you send me a picture of yourself?

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Pretty weak for a gay publication to "out" someone.....I thought that was a big no-no.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Obviously, the potential gayness (not that there's anything wrong with that) just adds to the creepiness of the e-mail to a 16-year old boy.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Depends on the gay publication. Some are strident about it. Feel it isn't wrong. Shouldn't closet yourself. Be an example and show that you can be a successful gay politician, athlete, actor, etc., etc.

11. Wait - wait. Let's not rush to judgement.

Exactly how hot looking is this 16-year old boy? [channeling Buck]

12. AL --
    Not necessarily. It's a huge debate as to whether or not to out, for example, gay politicians who bash the very practices in which they engage. I have no dog in the fight, so I don't know whether or not it's a good journalistic thing, absent a bust or a court action.
    I didn't know any of that other stuff about Foley, although it does explain how Jebby's home party wound up running a loon like Katharine Harris for the Senate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.