1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congressional Arrests

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 28, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

There have been so many members of the U.S. House placed in handcuffs in recent months that I can't keep them straight. It seems that all but a few are members of the Republican Party. Just to put it all into perspective, I thought it might be nice to have a running list of everyone who's been arrested in the past two years. Maybe a list already exists. If not, feel free to add names to this thread with state of representation and party.

2. This is from the National Review's blog. It doesn't mention the guy from Alaska. I forget his name, or the Giuliani aide in Florida who recently got busted for something similar to Craig.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NGJjMGE2MTFmMzI1NjZkMDdlZjQzNDY5OTI4ZmUwOTY=

Why is it that Republicans — Craig, Mark Foley, and David Vitter — are the ones who keep getting caught in sex scandals nowadays? Yes, there are always Democrats with lurid stories — the Jim McGreeveys, Gary Harts and Barney Franks of the world (and a lot of others whose transgressions have never been proven or admitted to). But no one can deny that lately it’s been Republicans getting caught in the most peculiar and dastardly deeds.

I don't buy for a second the idea that Democrats are less "repressed." That line of thinking implies that they lack all morals and regularly "let loose." But many of them are family men too, with children and wives equally unforgiving of such behavior. Whatever their stance on public homosexuality, they would be subject to the same pressures and potential "repression" that any Republican would theoretically feel, say, to cruise in public bathrooms.

Perhaps it's just coincidence, or maybe there is a better explanation out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted