1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congress wants the Justice Department to look into the BCS.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Apr 17, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm no fan of the BCS, but I've got to think there are more important issues for Congress (unless they can force newspapers to overpay their people). I doubt there's much chance that they can force a playoff.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Agreed. We've got terrorists wanting to blow us up, our economy sucks, and we are in a war based on lies in Iraq. But our well-esteemed friends in the halls of Congress decide to go after the BCS.

But I did find one thing ironic. Congress is concerned about restraint of trade with the BCS. What about the 'student-athletes' who are restrained from earning whatever money they can by the NCAA?

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It's little surprise Westmoreland was in on this. Even discounting UGA's complaints, the Georgia state legislature has pressured the state high school association into a couple of major changes -- one added a classification and forced private schools into an enrollment multiplier, and another forced the association to determine a winner in championship games rather than have co-champions. Legislators drafted bills and shortly thereafter the association acquiesced without the bills being put to a vote. An interesting use of power, and clearly Westmoreland picked up on it.

Somehow, though, it seems unlikely that the NCAA will have its hand forced that way.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Brought to you by the same people who had testimony on steroid use in baseball.

Playing devil's advocate here, there's this thought:

If a lot of constituents are asking their lawmakers to look into this, couldn't this be a case of lawmakers actually listening to the voters? Novel concept, but still.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Read the thread title, folks.

It's not Congress wanting to look into the BCS.

Congress wants the Justice Department to look into the BCS.

The Justice Department has little else to do at the moment other than roughing up some Mormon wannabes and filling up the dossiers of either Democratic candidate.

Draft saved Draft deleted