1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congress Passes Student-loan and Transportation Bill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

In an actual show of some bipartisanship:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/us/politics/congress-approves-transportation-and-student-loan-package.html?_r=1

Extending interest rates and transit programs.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Good for them.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

All of the no votes were cast by Republicans.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The most shocking thing is that this bill looks like what bills used to look like pre-Tea Party: something that furthers a goal of greater good, with each side making reasonable compromises to meet that goal. And, it wasn't passed at the last minute after much screaming. I'm stunned, actually, that the Tea Party gave up so easily on the Keystone pipeline, which wad supposed to be the most coolest job-growingest thing ever. That tells you Republicans have gotten word that if the transportation and student loan bills failed, voters would have pinned it on them.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I, too, long for those halcyon days of yore, when politicians never argued and always looked out for the nation's best interests.

Damn that Tea Party! It's been four long years since we had peace in the legislature.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

That's true, and unfortunately, it isn't surprising. Then again, at least plenty of them were pragmatic enough to vote yea.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Federalists and Anti-Federalists got along fine, especially during the Adams administration

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who don't want to spend one rusty nickel of tax money on anything for anyone.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Piotr, I'm not THAT naive. :)

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Being somewhat involved in transportation, I am finally glad there is a long term bill in place and we don't have to worry about the constant extensions. What I don't like is the move away from bike paths and transit funding to road construction.

Draft saved Draft deleted