1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congratulations, your section just got cut in half

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Walked into my editor's office today to hear that news. Apparently, the ad department can't fucking sell and as a result my section is being axed from 8 pages to 4. Also, they (ad fucks) have said they can't sell a basketball tab in a basketball crazed state (Kentucky). Look, i've worked both sides of the fence (editorial and ads) and it is about desire baby.
    Completely un-fucking-believable.

2. Sucks dude. Sucks bad.

We recently hired a new ad director and he's a complete douchebag. We've gotten completely ripped on space for the past 3-4 months (during football season), especially on Friday-Sunday. He told us we got too much space to begin with, and we were dreaming to get any more.

He shot us down on a four-page wrap on Fridays that we used to have and I tried to revive it this year. He said it couldn't sell. I also had to nearly break my neck to keep our football section the same as it was as last year.

Football can't sell in Texas. I laughed directly at him.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was fairly sure field hockey was the big draw in Texas. But I could be wrong.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Look at the bright side: NO BASKETBALL TAB

5. Feel your pain, my friend ...

My football tab got cut four pages at the last second in August because of some, I say unwritten, rule that all tabs in our shop had to be 60 percent ads. They couldn't justify four extra pages because that might look "too loose" when the head honcho of our group saw it. Forget I had to cram a bunch of schools into 16 very crammed pages... I've learned my lesson and am scaling way back on what I'm trying to do with our hoops tab...

Also, last weekend was the biggest of the fall sports season. Lots of our teams in state finals/state championship meets, football playoff brackets released, soccer playoffs in second round (soccer is pretty big here, too). I make my pitch for weeks about opening up the pages for our Monday paper, trying to get color on those pages because we'll likely have at least one state champ, etc. "Sure, sure, we hear you," they say. "Sounds great."

I come in over the weekend to put my power packed section together to find I had less space than the usual Monday and no color. Apparently, our composing chief was out sick and no one passed the word to the others. Meanwhile my competitor's section was three times as big and packed with stories and lots of color photos. Arggg.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

That was my first thought.

7. No, the basketball tab is still a go despite the fact that only 10 ads have been sold. My overall sports section has been cut in half because of those AD FUCKS

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If your ad peeps can't sell basketball in Kentucky, they really are ad FUCKS. It's like not being able to sell football in Texas.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Do they have coffee in your ad department? Pull a Baldwin and tell 'em coffee is for closers.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Better yet, use the set of steak knives on your ad staff and say first prize is you're fired...

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Happened to me when I was running a sports section in Kentucky, as well. I just folded previews into the main sports section and kept on keeping on.

Draft saved Draft deleted