1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congratulations To The new Mom and, well, Mom.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Where am I shouting down anyone? I'm comparing one single instance. I don't care about single parent households or the political ramifications of limiting homosexual rights as parents.

I'm solely comparing that if you have two really good parents gender doesn't matter. And yeah, that is a fact.

So, instead of responding to what is actually typed out, you come up with statements like "a kid with homosexual parents is just plain different." Hmm, that could be the case, but is it always? You seem to imply that it is. I'm saying you are wrong.

As to whether kids growing up with both biological parents are better off, who is disagreeing with the information that currently exists. I just happen to think that not enough data exists on a child growing up with same gender parents that act the same as biological parents would.

But of course, you want to use the term "politically correct" because of course I can't possibly actually believe in what I'm typing. I must be doing it all for show.

Good parents (emphasis on good) come in all shapes, sizes, colors and genders. If you have them, none of the other part matters.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You wrote:

Now go reread my post. I did respond to "what was typed out." You made a blanket statement and shouted "FACT," something I've seen you do dozens of time on here. Frankly, it's annoying, which is why I responded the way I did. And I pointed out that shouting doesn't make your blanket statements correct. In fact, I have read quite a few things that reference studies that suggest that a biological mom and dad household typically yields the most well-adjusted kids--in very tangible ways. If that is true, your "FACT," is not a fact.

The only "fact" is that I responded to exactly what you wrote, and your follow-up is irrational.

As for your question, yes a kid with homosexual parents is almost ALWAYS different. Given the number of homosexual couples raising kids in this country--a relatively small number--it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you go to a random elementary school and you do happen to find a kid growing up in a same-sex parent household, in the vast majority of cases (I'll venture a guess that it is greater than 98 percent), that kid is different than the the other kids in his class.

I didn't "imply" anything by that, as you put it, other than what is apparent to anyone who has ever spent time on a playground full of kids--kids who are different get shit from the other kids, and that can be tough.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Again, you include the caveat of "almost" right before you capitalize "ALWAYS".

Good parents = good parents. FACT.

(and if you can't juxtipose the reality that not a single statement I use "FACT" at the end of is legitimately a fact and as such is simply a form of irony, I can't help you.)

I will state that all of those studies are not the end all be all because they don't study every single person living on earth. That is just the reality. And as that is the case, it doesn't matter what the result is because I all need to do to prove my point would be to provide a "normal" well adjusted adult that was raise in a home with two mothers or two fathers.

In order to prove your point, you would need for every single child raised in a family with two mothers or two fathers to grow up to become slight screwed up. No offense, but that isn't very likely.

4. JackS

JackS Member

Thanks for sharing, FH. If you love and care for your son, I'm sure you're doing fine.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

OK, fair enough. Thanks for your input.

Sidebar question: What do you mean by "a conscious decision is made"? Are you still talking about homosexuality (i.e. as in same-sex parents)?

Or are you talking about divorce, abandonment, neglect, etc. -- those conscious decisions made by parents -- regardless of gender?

Because those two are decidedly different when it comes to "conscious decisions."

6. JackS

JackS Member

I actually meant artificial insemination when there wouldn't be both a mother and a father to raise the child. That wouldn't necessarily mean a homosexual couple. It could be a single mother (or father...hello, Michael Jackson).

The other scenarios you cite, I would give the benefit of the doubt that they at least initially intended to raise the child (properly) with a mother and a father.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

In the case of this family, their daughter is not getting raised "improperly," as you put it. They are choosing to not have a father in the picture because one cannot fit.

8. JackS

JackS Member

I was using "properly" in the context of not being abandoned, neglected, etc. as BW described.

Furthermore, if a story came across the wire that Mary Cheney announced she was adopting a child that had been bouncing from one foster home to the next, I'd be the first to offer my kudos. But pardon me if I don't break out the can of "woo hoo" for a conscious decision to bring another fatherless child into the world.

9. Jeebus, it's none of anybody's business.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Well, I'm not breaking any "woo hoo" based on the possibility that they could bad parents. But to say that the child is fatherless and theirfor worse of based solely on that is a little shortsighted.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think both k.d. lang and Martina are attractive women. k.d. is mannish (boyish?) and I have never met her, but she has a wonderful voice and seems to have a sweet spirit.

Martina has a great body and is a proud, confident woman, so that works for her.

Ellen has always dressed poorly, but she has a sweet way of being self-deprecating.

Anne Heche would be considered the hottie of the bunch, but she does nothing for me. Maybe she reminds me too much of Sondra Locke, who ruined too many Clint Eastwood movies.

12. JackS

JackS Member

Now that's hilarious. The guy who posted the link is telling me it's nobody's business.

Did you call the WP and tell them that too?

Draft saved Draft deleted