1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congratulations To The new Mom and, well, Mom.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 6, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You're right. I don't think I could do that.

However, I could find millions and millions and millions of kids who didn't have good fathers (and just as many who didn't have good mothers), and tell you that "the experience of having a father" is too often not all it's cracked up to be.

And at this point in time, I'd say there's at least as many kids who did not have (or are not having) good experiences with both parents as those who did. So there's a lot of people getting "cheated" ... to the point where I don't think it makes a difference anymore, as long as the parents are loving and supportive. ... Because there's too many kids who can't even get that, regardless of gender.

2. JackS

JackS Member

I agree with all that too, except the part about it not making a difference anymore.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, then, let me ask it differently: what are kids getting "cheated" out of, when arguably a majority of kids are being raised in so-called broken homes? What makes having a mother and a father still so sacrosanct, when most kids aren't getting that?

I would argue that having two loving mothers is a huge step up from what many, many kids are getting nowadays. So I don't see how it makes a difference, in real-life terms.

4. oldhack

oldhack Member

Pardon me for prying, but isn't your stepmother's partner your father? I think I need a program.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I should put a family tree up.

My father and my stepmother were married for 23 years. She's my stepmother. That woman he's married to is his wife not my stepmother (she hates me anyway).

After my father and stepmother got divorced, she came out, and her partner moved in.

Today's extended families -- becoming more and more confusing by the day.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

*raises hand*

7. JackS

JackS Member

They are getting "cheated" out of the different things the separate sexes bring to parenting (e.g. a woman can't show a boy how a man should relate to a woman or to other men). And yes, I realize a lot of kids from broken homes are being "deprived" of that as well, but IMHO, it's worse when a conscious decision is made to deprive the children from the get go. That's when it steps up a level to "cheating" the kids. And I should add, I think the issues are more acute when children of the opposite sex (from the parent or parents) don't have a ubiquitous role model of the same sex. How many times have we heard men who get in trouble blame their woes on the fact they grew up without a father to show them how a man is supposed to act? Answer: constantly, and justifiably so.

I should also add that I'm not thrilled with the sperm donors either. They are complicit in the "cheating" as well.

Anyway, I'm baffled by IJAG's response that she is not grateful for having a good mother and a good father. That's just bizarre.

8. I would like to congratulate you, JackS, for evidently having lived a very normal, sheltered life. Many of us were not so lucky.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Two good moms or two good dads are just as good as one good mom and one good dad. FACT.

Find me evidence otherwise or you are just spouting of a belief based on nothing more than whimsical follies.

10. Of course, the Cheney attitude on parenting has been innovative, to say the least:
    http://www.slate.com/id/2097365/

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FACT? Dude, it's idiotic every time you do that. There is no such "fact."

Honestly, the better question is, "Is there so much benefit to a mom and dad family that we should legislate it so that other types of families are illegal?" Most people would say, no, we shouldn't do that. But there is some common sense, and a lot of empirical data, that suggests that a higher percentage of kids from mom-and-dad households grow up well-adjusted than kids from other types of households.

For one thing, logic would tell anyone who was actually ever a kid that a kid with homosexual parents is just plain different. And being different is socially difficult for a kid. That kid probably frequently hears things like, "Well, you have two queer dads, so shut up!" on the playground. That can't be easy.

Secondly, there actually is a whole body of research that suggests that children who grow up with both of their biological parents are better off than children in other circumstances (adopted, foster homes, single-parent, same-sex parents, etc.): they're less likely to drop out of school, more likely to get good grades, less likely to commit crime, less likely to be sexually active. Those are things supported by study. It's actually the closest thing we actually do have to "fact."

People are so eager to appear politically correct that they want to automatically deem all situations inherently equal. They're probably not. Does that mean a kid can't grow up well-adjusted from a single-parent household, or from a household with two same-sex parents? Nope. Logic would tell anyone that the quality of parenting--regardless of the make-up of the household--has a huge impact. Does it mean we should illegalize anything other than same-sex parent households? Nope. Societally, we prefer not to legislate things like that.

But it's ignorant to shout down everyone else with "FACT!" when it isn't fact. Better to be honest, and give reasoned opinion, than it is to be politically correct, and the loudest shouter.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I grew up in a single-parrent household, and though my mother did get plenty of help of her family, it just wasn't the same. When I was a kid in the 80s, I saw my friends having fun with their fathers, the fathers coaching sports teams and the like. I never got the chance to have that kind of interaction because my dad decided he wanted to be somewhere else. It wasn't just his loss. It was mine as well and I didn't have a choice in the matter.

It's still my loss today because I'm the father of a bright, loving and affectionate two-year-old son, and there are times I'm wondering if how I'm parenting is right. Literally, I feel like I'm winging it and hoping I don't screw him up when he becomes a father in 25-30 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted